PDA

View Full Version : 223 Small base FL die

Dick Kohles
02-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Is one necessary in a 223 semi-auto? If so, can a regular FL die be shortened and if it can, by how much?
Don't have one but a friend does.
Thanks
Dick

Varminteer
02-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Did you just try using a FL die first? Might not need a SB die.

Oleman
02-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Dick I don't own an AR but have loaded for a few of them. I've never had to use a SB die.

Dick Kohles
02-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Thanks guys. Will try the regular die when he gets the rifle.
Dick

Easy_E
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I got away with a FL die for AR15 loads for a long time. I've had three rounds stick in the chamber and end my day . I know properly sized rounds won't stick but you don't know they are wrong until they are stuck. A bolt gun when you go to chamber and they are wrong you can back out.
With a small base die you never have to worry about a round sticking.
Just my .02 cents

Stephen Perry
05-19-2011, 11:57 AM
My question for any handloader that is having cartridge cases match and operate in any rifle/pistol, have you tried RCBS dies. Never found any reloader having any trouble chambering or ejecting cases that are properly prepared with RCBS dies. I bought a Remington 788 in .223, rifle came with a set of Bonanza/Forrester benchrest. I have 5 sets of Bonanza in other cartridges that work fine but not these .223 dies for this particular rifle. I swapped the Forrester dies for the well used RCBS dies that were also used in the rifle. SAAMI spec chambers need SAAMI spec dies to have trouble free operation.

If I had trouble cycling a semi auto and I did with a Rem 742 in 30-06 I would think how did I start loading for the chamber. If using virgin brass I would do some measuring with a 1/10 mic of prepared brass. Case dimensions in reloading manuals are a good start as SAAMI specs are consulted in preparing loading manual diagrams. If your chamber will not accept SAAMI spec brass you will need dies sub SAAMI dies. Small Base dies work for some chambers but be careful that you don't create headspace problems by your sizing die contacting the shoulder of cartridge case and altering case taper. Problems of case loaading into a rifle/pistol chamber is where is the rub coming from, my friend and former smith worked hard to help customers with their reloading problems usually not the semi-auto rifle/pistol problems eccept my smith polished allot of chambers over the years. What we found was the brass needed to be sepremely clean for a semiauto to function properly. I run all my brass for any chamber through my Midway tumbler walnut shell only for 15 minutes before I start reloading for rifle/pistol chambers. If I still have problems for a supposed SAAMI chamber I will change to RCBS dies if those aren't the ones I am using currently.

Don't get me wrong like most of you I have several brands of dies.To name a few others I have CH, Eagle, Pacific/Hornady, Wilson, Harrell. In finishing I would say for an AR or other semi chambers stay clean with your brass, use brass that checks with a SAAMI chamber, and clean your chamkbers regularly. Any die that act like small base dies can also change body taper and shoulder dimensions too if not set properly. Go to a Range and talk to the 200/300 AR competitors they are good at their craft.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Raid5
05-19-2011, 03:39 PM
I use a RCBS small base in my Dillon for all my 223 blaster/PD ammo. I needed a new die for the Dillon and thought a SM would be better for my standard 223 loads. I have never had a problem with the base size on my other AR loads using regular dies. 17-222, 222, 223ai, 20Tac and 223 that I load in my single stage have regular dies and I have never had a problem.
Dave B.

TinMan
05-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Never had problems in 223 with my Hornady dies, whether ARs, bolt rifles or a T/C. Headspace may vary a few thousands between rifles, but you have to make sure to adjust the die when you FL resize. I usually use NS dies for the bolt rifles.