PDA

View Full Version : 20 VarTarg Turbo 722 project

PeterS
02-21-2009, 05:56 PM
I am dreaming of building a 20 VarTarg Turbo on a Remington 722 action. Does anyone have first hand experience with this 20 caliber version? Does anyone have an engineering drawing showing the dimensions and angles? I am a .222 Rem fan and have lots of brass and accessories specific to the .222 Rem. It seems that the VarTarg Turbo is the best choice for me. Gotta' find a good barrel and someone to do the install. Suggestions welcome. Thanks, Peter.

larryinIA
02-21-2009, 06:09 PM
There is a ton of information here on the 20 VT. On the top blue bar, there is a search function, and this one actually works. i just did the search, and comes up with pages of threads. It is also a cartridge I am interested in. Plenty of reading, better grab a cup of coffee, and your comfy chair.

Again, welcome. You won't find another group of guys more willing to help, and the knowledge base anywhere else. They sure don't mind helping you spend money either.

larry

Fireball
02-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Peter, don't limit yourself to the VTT. There are other nice 222-based options in 20 caliber, namely the straight 20-222, 20 Duster and 20 Bobcat. You could have Kevin Weaver do you a 20 Bobcat as he is already set up with the reamer, etc. The VTT requires lots of trimming and it uses a 20VT reamer run in farther so you end up a little wider at the base than necessary for a good brass fit.

Search on "Duster", "Bobcat", and "Deuce" and you'll find lots to read here.

PeterS
02-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Guys, thanks for the quick replies! I am trying to collect some diagrams so that I can compare the dimensions. What I really want is a straight 20-.222 Rem. I have lots of brass and tools for the .222 Rem. I tried to upload pics here but could not figure out how. The ones I found are located at http://www.tripledeuce.net/Pictures.php Thanks again, Peter.

Fireball
02-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Peter, are you the guy that put together that website? If so I emailed you when the site first opened and complimented you on it. I also mentioned that by simply necking down the 222 case to 20 caliber you end up with a whole new class of cartidge. I am not sure but Kevin Weaver might be able to do the 20-222 for you. Contact him here:

http://www.weaverrifles.com/

and here:

http://www.customriflesandcartridges.com/

Tell him Warren B. sent you his way.

PeterS
02-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, I am the guy. If I did not already say it, thanks very much for your kind comments. I received a ton of emails when I launched it. I could not find the .222 Remington info in one spot, so I tried to make a site myself. I did not act on your suggestion about the 20/222 at the time because I had too many projects (and probably still do). I am sure that I have not rung out the .222's that I have, but find the 20's intriguing. Thanks again, Peter.

Fireball
02-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Peter, when doing your 20-222 you can use the steps I took to do an earlier neck down of the 223 case. All of the information in this article will apply to your 20-222 (except loads of course). I also shoot the 20-222 and love it. Mine is also on a Tikka M595 just like the 20 Practical in my article here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek061.html

Fireball
02-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Here's a photo of my Tikka M595 20-222 in a McMillan Sako Varminter pattern stock (yes these stocks do exist for the M595s!).

http://home.comcast.net/~wb323/images/TikkaMcMillan1.jpg

PeterS
02-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Warren, Beautiful rifle! Mine will most likely be a lower cost rig. I will probably use a 722 as the basis for the project. Lilja makes a drop in replacement contour for the 721 and 722 rifles. I have lots of stationary varmint rifles, 4 at last count (6BR, 22/250, 2 ea .222 Rem.). Could use a nice walker. Talk with you soon, Peter.

Fireball
02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Yes, this one is a walker, cut at 22". I sent the factory barrel to Dan Lilja and he programmed a contour for it. The Lilja 1-12" 3-groove barrel came out perfect! No copper at all and shoots lights out. The rifle is an inexpensive Tikka M595. The stock was a closeout from McMillan. So this project wasn't too expensive. I sure do love the M595 action. No other factory hunting action I have ever worked the bolt on feels as good as the M595. I compare it to opening and closing the door on a Mercedes Benz. It has the exact same feel.

RicN
02-22-2009, 09:55 PM
All I can add Warren is; WOW! Hey, post us pics of that Mercedes Benz door. Ha ha!!!

Fireball
02-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm a Nissan/Toyota kind of guy myself Ric. But when I lived in Europe I operated plenty of nice German car doors. :D

The bolt lift and closure of the Tikka M595 is vault-like. No one else has ever matched it on a factory rifle. When I work the bolt on a Cooper in comparison I cringe! :eek:

RicN
02-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Not to mention those Coopers make you feel like paying the neighbors house payments! Ha!!!

One of these days I'll see the Tikka's but they don't show up here that I know of.

Yesterday, I looked over an unfired SS Sako in PPC benchrest that is for sale here locally, very nice!

Fireball
02-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Not to mention those Coopers make you feel like paying the neighbors house payments! Ha!!!

That's the best line I've seen on this forum for quite a while Ric! :D

Mntngoat
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Yesterday, I looked over an unfired SS Sako in PPC benchrest that is for sale here locally, very nice!

Ric, I'd have to say you should get that PPC. I've yet to find a Sako I didn't like.

ML

jim barker
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Ric, I'd have to say you should get that PPC.
ML

Yeah, that's what I told him.

RicN
02-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Mt-Goat: You think? Right now there are three Sako's just setting here in my shop collecting dust, don't need a fourth right yet. Now if that single shot was in say, 222 I'd be interested. Having had a PPC chambering once before, I have no use for them now and don't shoot bench rest any longer. I thought Jim Barker would be interested as he almost bought one (sako SS) 10 years ago! Come on Jim, you need this rifle!

PeterS
07-18-2009, 01:15 PM
I have switched gears a little. After receiving the 722 I felt that its condition was too nice to part out. It also still shoots fairly well. So....I found a new 700 BDL action and purchased it. I felt that this was a better choice for accessories and stock fit. My plan is to use a 700 BDL stock that I have on hand. When I receive the action I will send it and my reamer off to Douglas for a stainless barrel and installation. I bought a new reamer from Dave Kiff at Pacific. The caliber will be 20-222 with all dimensions and angles identical to the parent .222 Rem. The only re-sizing or forming will be the neck. I chose a reamer equivalent to a tight factory neck (no neck turn) and a fairly short free bore for the 32 and 40 gr bullets. Dave Kiff helped out with the technical dimensions based on my request. The original plan was for the project to be affordable....I am not quite so sure how that will work out. Hopefully it will shoot very well. I'll keep you posted. Peter.

jim barker
07-18-2009, 03:26 PM
your project sounds much like one that Al Pencin and I did a couple of years back. Only difference is that we have to do a light turn on the necks. Great accuracy and ease of case forming make it a great choice. Mine was made on a RB LP Nesika Bay.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/win40-82/nesika007.jpg

Fireball
07-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the update Peter. I just received some of the new Lapua 222 cases and the necks are thicker than the Winchester cases I have been using over the years. So with my .232" chamber I need to take a bit off the new Lapua cases. They cleaned up to .013" very nicely and are very high quality cases, much better than the old stuff Lapua used to sell that were sub-contacted out. So if you are planning on using the Laua cases you might want to invest in a K&M neck turning tool (around $60). Or you can just use the very good Winchester cases.

PeterS
03-09-2010, 01:49 AM
I thought my news update may help to ward off the winter duldrums, although the sun was significantly higher this morning and the snow is melting off. As I reported in an earlier posting, I did not have the heart to part out the 722 in .222 that was to be my donor. Instead I bought a new Remington 700 BDL matte finish action. I had also found a good used straight grain factory Remington 700 BDL stock that I stripped the muddy factory finish off of. I think it will refinish quite nicely with some traditional reddish brown stain that I had gotten from Brownell's and some Tru-Oil. I may also try to sharpen up the points on the checkering. I received a new 20-222 reamer from David Kiff at PT&G. After giving my barrel selection a lot of thought and listening to the suggestions of others, have chosen a barrel and twist. I sent the action and reamer out to Hart Barrels in Lafayette, NY with instructions for them to install a 1:10 twist 26" long stainless barrel with a factory Remington BDL Sporter contour with .050 additional diameter to help stock fitting and rigidity. The result will be a factory contour with increased diameter to yield .690 - .700 at the muzzle. Hart has quite a long lead time but hopefully the finished product will be worth the wait. The factory trigger should tune nicely to 2.5 - 3 lbs for my walking varmint rifle idea. I have Weaver bases, Burris Signature Zee rings and a Sightron SII 6.5-20x 42mm scope that I got on closeout from Natchez. Hopefully it will all meld together into a fine finished product. I have dreams of installing pillars and glass bed the stock, but being new at it I am approaching it with cautious procrastination. :) It was over 50 here in NY today, spring is coming! Peter

Fireball
03-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Can't wait to see the pictures and results Peter.