PDA

View Full Version : OT- Accuratereloading.com

ray h
02-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Over on accuratereloading.com under the Reloading section shows a 257 Wby Mag rifle blow up using reduced loads of Blue Dot. It was a double charge but reduced loads still scare me. Just some food for thought.

Oleman
02-24-2009, 03:18 AM
To easy to over load a big case like that. I don't and never will use Blue Dot loads.

sicero
02-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Over on accuratereloading.com under the Reloading section shows a 257 Wby Mag rifle blow up using reduced loads of Blue Dot. It was a double charge but reduced loads still scare me. Just some food for thought.

It's pretty much a stretch of the imagination to call a double charge a reduced loads. Reloading and shooting reloads is inherently a risky endeavor. I shoot a lot of reduced loads and I weigh all my cases within a grain or so. I pick each case up out of the loading block. I first turn it upside down then put the powder in. If I am only doing a few I immediatly seat the bullet. If I am doing a bunch I set them in a loading block on the opposite side and seat them when the block is full. Either way I weigh them before boxing them. I have never found a double charge but I did one time find a 17 caliber bullet in a 20 caliber case by weighing. How it got there I don't know. I would rather shoot my reduced loads than take someones loads from the internet that have no pressure testing. I have never blanked a primer, flattened a primer, had a swelled case or make the bolt hard to open with a reduced load. How many of you can say that about your "normal" loads? I think loading from the burn rate chart is more dangerous than reduced loads. You better not load low velocity loads from the burn chart. If it bothers you, don't do it. Kenny