PDA

View Full Version : Hornady's reply to my request

A17Shooter
03-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Double Post

A17Shooter
03-05-2009, 09:14 AM
t probably makes more sense to read it from the bottom up. :rolleyes:

You're are correct that we would sell more 17's but we'd have to in order to make up for just one DGX. Right now there are no plans to offer them for sale simply because everything we can make is committed to ammo for the foreseeable future. We are working on a solution to shooters in the Peoples' Republic of California but don't have anything to release yet.

Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 1:06 PM
To: Webmaster
Subject: Re: Need another 17 Cal Bullet

Dear Webmaster,

Well, it's next year. I checked the Hornady.com (http://hornady.com/) web site and was severely disappointed that no 17 cal 17 gr vmax bullets were listed. :-(( I'm sure that you must receive thousands of requests for these bullets every month. :-) And, I'm sure that you would sell more of these than say the 470 cal 500 gr DGX or DGS bullets. Once again I must ask when is the release date for these 17 cal 17 gr vmax bullets. I'm scheduled for prairie dogging in early June so my need is both imminent and great.

Well it's nice talking with you again.

Yours in Varmint Shooting,

Gary Nance

PS - Does Hornady have any non-lead ammo or bullets, present or future, for varmint hunting in the California Condor Country?? I know where I could have a lot of fun with some CA Ground Squirrels if there was good non-lead 17HMR ammo available.

CC - WWW.Saubier.Com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/../) & www.californiapredatorsclub.com (http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/)

To: glnance (glnance@pacbell.net)
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:17:55 AM
Subject: FW: Need another 17 Cal Bullet

DIV { MARGIN:0px;}

There's a possibility for next year but no guarantee.

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 1:09 PM
To: Webmaster
Subject: Need another 17 Cal Bullet

Greetings,

Hope you are having a nice day.

Once again I would like to request that Hornady release the 17 gr 17 caliber VMax to the commercial market. I have three small case 17 caliber firearms that need a 17 caliber bullet smaller than 20 grains. I have faithfully purchased 17 caliber bullets from Hornady since 1991 and admire the quality of your products. But, my 17 CCM (rifle & pistol) and 17 JAN require a lighter weight bullet. Please expedite this reasonable request.

Hope to see you in the varmint towns,

Gary Nance

CC: WWW.Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/../)

GLWenzl
03-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Nice try!!

Not sure anyone would like to see these lil fellers on the market any worse than I but I do respect Hornady for not putting them out just yet and have since let it go…. I have been out to Hornady on tours of their plant and have seen it expand with dedicated workers doing their very best to keep up with demand, working two shifts 24/7 (if I remember right) I feel if they have other commitments to fill first that is the way it should be…. who would of thought that the lil 17 gr bullet would be so popular in them darn rimfires??? And in due time we will more than likely see em boxed up…. Hornady seems to care about the needs of shooters and reloaders and does not ignore them just to be a make us wait…. Just my take on it and probably a lil distorted and reading things into it that may not be 100% accurate.

Thanks for sharing!

ray h
03-06-2009, 02:03 AM
I agree Gary, Hornady has done a lot for the small caliber shooters when the other companies turned their back. We need to support their position....... but a 20 cal 27gr and 36gr sure would be nice.

A17Shooter
03-06-2009, 03:56 AM
I'm not upset with Hornady about the 17 gr VMax anymore than I am with Sierra for not making 17 caliber bullets at all. They just need to hear from the fellows out in the fields that make their jobs secure. Seems like they should be able to tolerate one email a year from a dedicated Hornady customer. :D I do have a small stash of the 17 gr VMax bullets for this year.

ray h
03-06-2009, 12:00 PM
17shooter, ole Gary W wasn't at the Shot Show 5 minutes before he (in his red Hornady logo'd shirt) walks up to Steve Hornady and says "when you bringin' out the 17gr VMaxs". The poor guy hadn't had his coffee yet. lol

larryinIA
03-06-2009, 02:53 PM
told me he could swage some 17 gr pills at one time, but would take some time to get them done. Maybe if there were enough guys that would commit to buying some, he would do a run of them. I am not ready for them at this point, but would be in the future. I need to find the right rifle for a conversion, or get off my butt, and convert my hornet.

Ron, is this still a possibility? How many bullets would you have to have spoken for to make them, if it is a possibility?

larry

Edited....these would be hollow pts, if I remember correctly, I believe he has no tools for plastic pts.