PDA

View Full Version : I need some mentoring

larryinIA
03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I have a CZ 527 American. It is a 22 hornet. I have never fired this rifle, I am unsure if it has ever been fired. I got it home, cleaned it very carefully, and shows no dirt.

Back to the dilemma...I bought this with intentions of having it rebarreled in 17 AH. I am pretty sure I will get in in 9 twist, I am unsure of whose barrel I will go with. I think I will stay with the sporter weight contour, matching the factory one if possible.

My question is this...who should I have do the work, and about how much should I expect to pay? I am guessing that I can't do this myself, as I did with my savage, using yotecallers wrench, and vise.

My other thought was to just have it "K"ed. I really think I "need" that 17AH though.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

larry

john
03-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Shoot it as 22 Hornet first - no problem getting 3100ft/sec with 40grainers and Lil Gun. If you are not happy with the grouping then pillar bed it and try again. Should get 3/4" for 5 at 100 with at least 10 shots/case. Why K a hornet with that sort of performance?

larryinIA
03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
The answer to your question is...for the fun of it, and to have something that is different than everyone else. I probably will shoot it as is, and see how it does. There is a Ruger no. 1 I have spotted too. That would make a great project. I won't make it down there for a while, so who knows if it will stay around too. It is not a project that would happen immediately either. But could happen this summer, when things start rolling again for me.

I still would like to know about how much it will take to make this hornet into a 17AH.

larry

Gary in Illinois
03-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Larry,

I just did this exact same thing. I bought a Pac-Nor barrel in lightweight contour and sent both the barrel and rifle to Bob Green. I mailed the rifle to Bob on February 6 and received the finished rifle before the end of February.

While I haven't had time to develop a load yet, I did shoot some loads I had for another rifle and had no problems getting them into 1/2" at 100 yards. This is a very light rifle and I am very pleased with Bob's workmanship and the final results.

You would need to check with Bob for a price quote but I spent under $300 for Bob's services which included rebarrel, chamber, crown, bead blast, minor opening of the barrel channel and opening up the magazine to hold the 17 AH with 20 grain Vmax bullet.

Give Bob a call. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Good luck,
Gary

larryinIA
03-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Larry,

I just did this exact same thing. I bought a Pac-Nor barrel in lightweight contour and sent both the barrel and rifle to Bob Green. I mailed the rifle to Bob on February 6 and received the finished rifle before the end of February.

While I haven't had time to develop a load yet, I did shoot some loads I had for another rifle and had no problems getting them into 1/2" at 100 yards. This is a very light rifle and I am very pleased with Bob's workmanship and the final results.

You would need to check with Bob for a price quote but I spent under $300 for Bob's services which included rebarrel, chamber, crown, bead blast, minor opening of the barrel channel and opening up the magazine to hold the 17 AH with 20 grain Vmax bullet.

Give Bob a call. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Good luck,
Gary

Gary, who did you get your barrel from? This makes me pretty excited to get it done. Thanks for the info, this is what I was looking for.

larry

Gary in Illinois
03-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Larry,

I ordered directly from Pac-Nor at:
http://www.pac-nor.com/

I ordered a lightweight profile super match 9 twist 3 groove barrel. The cost was $305 + shipping and their delivery was approximately as they quoted. They seem to be good people to deal with.

I only recently received the rifle so I don't have much experience with it yet, especially the cleaning aspect. I am pleased the accuracy using ammunition loaded for another rifle.

This setup keeps the rifle nice and light. Now I need to find a nice light and low-cost scope. I have a Burris Compact 4 - 12X scope that is a nice size but it is pretty heavy.

Good luck,
Gary

GLWenzl
03-07-2009, 02:44 AM
Larry, while you are spending money might check on a price of the 22 K Hornet and have a switch barrel??? You know one can never have too much fun! While the 22 Hornet lilgun load is close to a K'd version the brass is suppose to last longer with the improved case and I just like the looks of the K????

larryinIA
03-07-2009, 04:15 AM
i had actually thought of that. What do you do? Do you have it threaded for a barrel nut? I have a perfect 22 barrel, and then will have a 17 AH barrel to go with it. I am afraid if I spend the money to get it re-chambered, I will never use it, the 17's are so much fun:D I am excited to go pdoggin this year.

larry