PDA

View Full Version : Well,,, The Deed Is Done

RePete
04-25-2009, 11:37 PM
I posted a while back asking opinions on having a varmint barrel recontoured to a sporter.
I got lots of good advice and thank everyone for their helpfull opinions.
I deceided to go ahead with my plan, and thought I'd post the results.
Oh,,,, and after agonizing for a few days I went ahead and had the barrel cut from 24" to 22".
I've only had it out for a sight in and to check the velocity since the wind was just to bad for any accuracy testing yesterday.
She handels like a dream with the shorter barrel, but I did loose about 120fps from a load I had worked up before the recontouring. I'm not too worried since it was a load with W760 that has never produced alot of velocity for me anyway. I have some loads with IMR4320 I'll shoot next time out. I've always gotten good velocity from the 4320 and am well below max with what I'm using now.

Anywhooo,,, here's the before,,,,,,,,,
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/CharlieB401/foxpro/DSCN0086-1.jpg

and after pix...
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/CharlieB401/noname094.jpg

I killed quite a few Coyotes and a pretty fair number of Cats with this gun before the barrel gave up the ghost and I deceided to have it rebarreled and use it for rodents about 4yrs ago,,, so this is kinda like getting an old friend back.
Life's Good:D

larryinIA
04-26-2009, 02:37 AM
Please refresh my memory...what is it chambered in? Who did the work? What kind of groups are you getting with it? Did it shoot well before? there are a ton of ??? I can come up with. What is the stock from? Custom?

larry

RePete
04-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words Larry
I tried to post a link to the old thread but I can't seem to figure out how on this site. ,,,,, Cyber-Stupid ,,,,:o

The Barrel was originally installed by Pac-Nor, and I sent it back to them for the re-contour and trim job. They charged 35.00 for contouring and 25.00 to cut and re-crown. Of course there were some shipping fees involved, but that still seemed like an awfull good price to me...
I've done quite a bit of buisness with Pac-Nor and have always had good service at fair prices.

The rifle started life as a Remington Classic chambered in 17Rem. That's the original Classic stock and the caliber is still 17Rem.
It shot great before I sent it in, but like I said earlier. "I just got it back and the one time I was able to get to the range it was to windy to see if the accuracy has been affected by the work"....
I talked to Kelly at Pac-Nor before they did the work and he was pretty confident that things wouldn't change as long as I hadn't overheated the barrel on a regular basis. I'm like an old mother hen when it comes to my rifles and NEVER get them hot, so I think it'll be ok.. At least I hope so.

I just put another 17Rem togeather for hunting, but it turned out alot heavier (and Prettier) than I'd planned on, so I deceided to use it for Gophers, and go back to the old Classic for Coyote hunting.

Here's the new 17Rem Gopher getter.. 700 action with P-N #5 contour, and Holland stock. I knew it would be heavy, but it came in around 10lbs. Way to heavy for this old man to pack around.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/CharlieB401/noname061.jpg
Thanks for looking.
Charlie