PDA

View Full Version : A fenugie ?

larryinIA
04-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Or two, or?

First, how, or what process do you guys go through, to come up with a load? What I mean is, how do you go about deciding on which primer, powder, bullet, and seating depth, etc... the order, of the process of elimination?

I ask these because I know I am leaving some wear and tear at the range, and sending some bullets downrange, that probably don't need to go, not that I mind.

Also, what kind of records do you keep? I see some of you have records of all the rounds down the tubes. I am terribly organized, and rely on my memory a lot, which isn't as good as it was 20 yrs ago.:o

I think I will probably not ever end up selling any of my rifles here, cuz I can't afford to build the stuff like you guys like to play with, I am here to learn, and make some friends. ((I feel like I know most of you well, never having met any of you, yet.) that is a compliment)) I want to do this for knowledge, and to be able to someday maybe add something to someone else's knowledge. So far, still on the sponge program.

I have successfully forgot the other questions I had, but I am sure they will come up, as, hopefully, other posts come in.

Thanks in advance.

larry

trotterlg
04-30-2009, 05:52 AM
Primers are one of the last things to worry about, start with something suitable to the task, if it is a HP round then use a Rem 7 1/2, CCI BR-4 or CCI 450. Bullet maker will not make much difference in how the pressure works out with loads, nor will the primer types. Seating depth is the last thing to play with. Pick a powder that will fill the case as much as you can without compressing the load too much at max and see what you get. I like to go a little slow on the powder burn rate so I can get near 100% fill on the cases. Your results may vary. Larry

john
04-30-2009, 08:55 AM
I buy the best brass I can get in that cartridge. And then I process that brass to make it as uniform as possible. Then I pick the most uniform of the unified brass to be the test cases for load work up. This in all in aid of taking out at least one factor of the multiple variables. I limit my powder/bullet choice to what is going to be consistently available where I live - which is not much, mostly Hornady bullets and Australian powders. And when I'm shooting the loads downrange, I have actually started using wind flags and discovered that the times with the least wind still have a few breezes which I can now avoid, saving much misunderstanding when analysing the results and consequent retesting. Oh, I also shoot at night when I'm not being blasted by Mr Loudenboomer in the next shooting booth, letting off his latest cannon just as I'm easing a shot downrange. Those factors have saved me heaps.

gonedawgn
05-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Little Late responding but I saved a lot of barrel life and componenets once I found this site.
http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/index.php

Did take me a while to ask what powders work best but you can truly make any combination of components shoot accurately using this system.