PDA

View Full Version : 17 Remington Powders

Foxhunter223
05-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi all,
I picked up a Sako A1 in 17 Remington a couple years ago and have decided I will shoot it a bit this year as we are coming into prime Fox fur time.

Out of the powders I have on hand, 4895 (2206H) and Varget (2208) is one considered better than the other for the 17 Remington ? or should I just test each and see ? I don't have access to a chonograph so will only go on grouping at the range.

I will be using Remington 7 1/2 primers and Hornady 25 gn V-Max projectiles if that helps.

Pete

reed1911
05-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I have had excellent results with Varget, it can be a pain though, just dump slowly from the pan into the the funnel.

Silverfox
05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Both of my .17 Remingtons like H4895, Varget and N-540. H4895 is the powder I'm using for the 25 gr. Hornady HP bullets out of my 1 in 9" twist four-groove Lilja barrel. When I shoot the 30 gr. Starke FBHP bullets in that rifle I use a good stiff load of N-540.

I shot lots of H4895, Varget, and N-540 through my first super match grade SS 1 in 9" twist three-groove Pac-Nor barrel. Most of my loads were with the 25 gr. Hornady HP and H4895.

I removed the first Pac-Nor barrel and had a 26" Pac-Nor installed just this spring. I only have 137 rounds through it. So far, Varget and N-540 show promise with the 27.5 gr. BTHP Hammett bullets.

The 25 gr. Hornady V-Max bullets seem to have a very long shank on them compared to other bullets I used in my two .17 Remingtons. I had issues with the 25 gr. V-Max tumbling and just quit using them for that reason.

Foxhunter223
05-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. Seems that I could use either powder and have good results.

Silverfox has me worries about the V-Max tumbling in his 17 so I am hoping I have better luck as I have 500 of them to use.
Pete

Russell
05-27-2009, 11:25 PM
The IMR 4007SSC powder in my Remington 700 Classic 17 REM works GREAT!!!
I'm shooting the 30gr Gold Woodchuck Den bullets with 26.0 grains of IMR 4007SSC over CCI-450 Mag Primers at 3660fps. It shoots 340fps slower than the reloading manuel shows however this load will shoot 1/4" to 3/8" groups at 100 yds all day. I wish it was faster however I'm very happy how it shoots.

GLWenzl
05-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Not to worry from as near as i can tell. The 25 gr V-Max has been real good to me in a 9 & 10 twist barrels. 17 Jet, Mach IV(s) 17 Jav Imp 17-222 and a couple 17 Rems all shot them with no tumbles and most will consistently do around 1/2" 5 shot groups... But I run em around 3800-4050 fps too...

I thought at one time that it was the elevation but either the 25 V-Max does not know elevation or it is just right around 1,000 feet???

I wonder if others have seen this issue.

I have never used either of these powders in the 17 rem...

Foxhunter223
05-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Russell,
I don't know the powder you using and am not sure it is available in Australia, I will have to ask. But if my local GS does not stock it then it will be unlikely he will get it in for me. The down side to livinging a rural area. The load I was leaning towards was 22.0 gns of Varget which is supposed to deliver approx 3759 fps which is close to what your getting.

GLW,
I like what your saying about the V-max as I was starting to think I had bought the wrong projectile weight. We will be shooting at about 1200 feet of elevation so I am confident we will get good results.

I appreciate your replies.
Pete

17varminter
05-28-2009, 07:49 PM
With a 17 Rem using 1:9" twist you will have issues with the lighter 17-19 gr bullets, everything shoots fine, based on my experience.

Foxhunter223
05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
17varminter,
I am sure the Sako has a 1 in 10 twist barrel. I have loaded and fired some 25 gn Remington projectiles a friend gave me and they seem to work well in the little Sako. I will have to load some of the 25 gn V-Max and test them, but they should be OK.
Pete

larryinIA
05-29-2009, 12:33 PM
I found that my RCBS funnel had a little lip inside the cone, i took a knife, and carved it out, the little cylinders flow a little better now, and only need a slight tap to get them flowing, that is only if I dump the powder from the scale pan too quickly.

larry

Tim Anderson
05-29-2009, 03:28 PM
If you plan on saveing the fox hides you may want to have another bullet on hand, like a berger H.P. or any other H.P. thats available to you.. The 25 gr. V-max canbe to distructive on the hides, it was ment for shooting P.D. and other varmints...good luck..

Foxhunter223
05-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Larry,
I have a funnel that is designed and does work great for the 17 and Varget. It has removable tubes on it in many different sizes. All I do is drop my load from the Redding powder thrower into a 223 case then into the weighing scale pan to check for correct weight. Then into the 17 case through the funnel. You need to be a bit dexterous but I do tend to set up ergonomically when I load.

Tim,
Fox skins have been worth next to nothing here in Australia for so long that nobody I know skins foxes any more. Our goal in shooting foxes is to keep numbers down and stop them killing the farmers new born lambs. Two years ago he was losing 30% of his newborn lambs every night to fox’s.

I suppose I should mention that I enjoy taking them out as well.
Pete

RePete
06-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi all,
I picked up a Sako A1 in 17 Remington a couple years ago and have decided I will shoot it a bit this year as we are coming into prime Fox fur time.

Pete

In your original post you talk about "prime Fox fur time" aproaching,,,, and then you told TA that the fur prices are to low to bother with, but you "enjoy taking them out" and are just helping with the Lamb predation.

Not sure what your looking for here but it sounds to me like your mind was made up before you posted.

I sure wish we had some Fox around these parts. I'd skin every single one, but I sure wouldn't shoot them with V-Max's.

Good Luck
Charlie

Foxhunter223
06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
RePete,
Yes I can see where your coming form with what I said. So I will explain. Years ago when fox skins were worth good money here, I like many others shot foxes to pay for my shooting. Being wintertime we always just called it prime fox time, this time of year also corresponds with pre Lambing time. So now, even though we are primarily shooting foxes to stop them from killing the farmer’s newborn lambs the old saying has stayed with me.

Top marks for reading and comprehension.
Pete :)