PDA

View Full Version : tools

Liseo
06-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I have some questions about bullet swaging.

If I want make .243 bullets in different weights, changing the jacket lenght, will I need different pointing dies or is a matter of adjust the die in the press?

Excuse my poor english.

Liseo
Brasil

Randy Robinett
06-12-2009, 12:42 AM
I have some questions about bullet swaging.

If I want make .243 bullets in different weights, changing the jacket lenght, will I need different pointing dies or is a matter of adjust the die in the press?

Excuse my poor english.

Liseo
Brasil

Liseo, you're "on it" differing lengths/weights simply require an adjustment of the point-up die: the cavity depth will determine the maximum usable jacket length. Good shootin'! RG

iiranger
06-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Yes, for normal weight bullets adjusting the die in the press (or punch depending on model/design) will allow you to make different lengths/weights of bullets. Best discuss this carefully with the die maker. To go to the extreme, a 35 grain VLD .224 is not going to work well...

b). If you go to where the lead extends beyond the jacket, called "lead tip" or "soft point" often, then you also need a "pointing die" to make the tip well formed.

c). Mr. Corbin, Dave has his book "Rediscover Swaging #9" on his web site for reading, study, download, etc. sans pictures... oh wellllll... Great resource and free this way. Enjoy. Luck.

iiranger
06-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Dave Corbins web site(s), corbins.com, swage.com and there are others...

Liseo
06-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Thank you guys for your prompt reply.

I already make my mind that I need make my own bullets, this will keep me busy when I ainīt in the range.
I will try contact Larry Blackmon or Corbin to quote the dies.
Is one rockchucker press enough to make all steps in swaging or will I need
more presses? My intention is to keep the expenses as low as practical.
Once the cores are cutted, I believe that I have to change the dies twice,
one to seat the core and other to point up the bullet. Is this correct?

Thanks

Liseo

vmthtr in Green Bay
06-12-2009, 11:44 PM
My friend is making his own 30 cal bullets. 2 presses, core seat and point up. Changing dies sucks. Forget what he does his core squirt with.

Mike

Oleman
06-13-2009, 02:23 AM
If you're going to get steel dies go with Larry Blackmon he will get back to you which is not Corbin's way of doing business.

Liseo
06-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Someone have the current e-mail adress of Larry Blackmon?

Oleman , thank you for your info.

Liseo

Oleman
06-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Here's all the info you should need to get a hold of Larry.

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_dkvt83

iiranger
06-13-2009, 05:58 PM
For bullets of pure lead, pistol bullets, and small rifle bullets, .224/.244, a Rockchucker is enough. It is a sleeve bearing and you are "over working" it compared to reloading, so keep it well lubed, but the RCBS company name stands for Rock chucker Bullet Swages, Mr. Huntington's first product. Made .224's from fired rimfire cases. And others, Neemi, Deustch, etc. convert them to easily use their bullet making dies.

To start cheap, there has been a firm on Ebay called Shooter's Shack advertising a die to make the .224 from rimfire cases for $135. US plus ship of course...

The presses designed for swaging (and some can reload too, some) are more convenient and better engineered (roller bearings) for the loads/wear. Richard Corbin, bro to Dave at rceco.com, has a press for swaging only at $250. Richard takes questions too.

More you study the Dave Corbin book, the better you will be prepared to make wise choices in your gathering tools. Using them... "on your own" as they say. Luck.

Liseo
06-14-2009, 09:09 PM
iiranger

I need start cheap, but my intention is to produce BR quality bullets, thus the .224 made from RF cases are out of question. I dont have any experience, but seens to me that these bullets are more for plinking(this is what I read in some forums).

The press that you are talking about ($250.00) use the standard 7/8X14
threads and accept the dies made by Larry or do i need use the dies from Richard Corbin? ( OK, I know that I can ask this to Richard, but remember
that english isnt my mother tongue, so is easy to read than talk)

Thanks again

Liseo

LRCampos
06-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Liseo, I sent you an email.

I got some news!

Pete
07-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Being new to this Forum (today) I've been reading a few of the messages of interest. One of the things I notice is that some seem to be "down" on the Corbin boys.

I'm just getting back into bullet swaging after many years so have emailed both Dave and Richard this week with questions on their current products. Have dealt with them on several occasions in the past. Presses, dies, etc. Got replies back from both of them within a day. And two more from Dave when I asked him subsequent questions.

So.... What's the deal?

PETE

Liseo
12-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Someone may inform where I can buy jackets, beside Berger and Corbin?

I believe that the small suppliers are easier to deal, as my intention is buy small quantities to check if this task is for me or is best let to others:D

Al Nyhus
12-07-2009, 02:14 AM
Liseo:

For BR quality bullets, the Berger/J4 jackets are what you want. -Al

Bayou City Boy
12-08-2009, 02:18 AM
I've been swaging 20 caliber bullets since 2000, and in that time I've used several different makes of jackets. I've swaged J-4 0.224" jackets down to 20 caliber as well as using the J-4 20 caliber jackets bought directly from Berger.

They both make decent 20 caliber bullets, but by far the most consistent jackets I have used are 0.224" Sierra jackets that I swage down to 20 caliber. Not only are they the most accurate jackets/bullets in all of my 20 caliber rifles, but they are also a very tough jacket that holds together very well at high velocities.

Just my experience...

-BCB

Liseo
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
One more question.

I believe that the Rock chuker is the more common press for swaging, but
I have available the LEE classic cast press. It is sturdy enough or the Rockchuker still is the best option? If so, why? Is the linkage stronger?

Randy Robinett
12-13-2009, 02:31 AM
One more question.

I believe that the Rock chuker is the more common press for swaging, but
I have available the LEE classic cast press. It is sturdy enough or the Rockchuker still is the best option? If so, why? Is the linkage stronger?

The Lee CLASSIC Cast Iron presses are BETTER than RockChuckers - and by a fair margin - when it comes to 'plumb', a 'Chucker' cannot touch the Lee CC.
If you're handy, or, have a pal who is, converting a Lee CLASSIC to bullet swaging is a snap - here's a link to my photo album, showing and describing the Lee conversion: http://www.bench-talk.com/photos/r_g_robinett/picture635.aspx

There are three or four pics with descriptions - easy to sort out from the dead animal pics - if you have an aversion the dead animals, don't go here :o). The LEE CC press is inexpensive, 'dead-nuts' true, and MADE IN AMERICA! :eek::) The only down-side - they're RED! :o RG

ray h
12-13-2009, 01:07 PM
For those 25 cal nuts who may not know, Randy is making Good 100 and 110gr bullets ( BIB ).

ray h
12-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Sorry, I meant to post the above under the 250-3000, not sure how to move it.

Liseo
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks to all who replied.

Randy, you are the man, thanks again for a lot of information:)