PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Spinner

Graham
12-24-2006, 10:46 AM
I am just about to receive a set of Niemi dies,do I need to have a bullet spinner to check the runout of the projectile? These dies are for benchrest.
Thanks
Graham

jim saubier
12-24-2006, 01:41 PM
we do not use a Vern Junke bullet spinner. we do use a mechanical bullet spinner that actually measures something, that being runout, base to ogive or anwhere along the bullet. Ours is a Hart model, that I got some time back and i'm not sure that they make them any longer. I've seen only one other spinner and it was custom made by a machinist (Ken Livengood). There is an ad that usually runs in the back of precision shooting magazine for a guy, I think his name is Bud that makes them. I've got no experience with his but if I needed one, that is where I'd probably go for one. I'll try to get some pics of our unit to show here.

jim

jim saubier
12-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Bud Welsh
East Amherst, NY
(716)688-6344

www.high-precision.com
e-mail welsh5168@aol.com

this was from a Precision Shooting magazine dated May 2002 so I'm not certain if this is still accurate but a good place to start. I spoke to him about making a bullet spinner for me but I found one in the meantime. You'll need a spinner for the caliber(s) that you intend to make, be it 6mm, .30 cal, .22 cal, or whatever. You can provide him a sample bullet to make it if you wish.

let me know how you make out with getting one of these from Bud, I'd love to see some pics of what he comes up with and how it differs from ours.

jim

R.G. Robinett
12-24-2006, 10:42 PM
I am just about to receive a set of Niemi dies,do I need to have a bullet spinner to check the runout of the projectile? These dies are for benchrest.
Thanks
Graham

Unless the bullets do not SHOOT, I'd never put a spinner of any sort on a finished bullet.:eek: A decent barrel is the best bullet spinner.:D You should obtain and use a "spinner" to verify the TIR (total indicated run-out) of the jacket walls. If have your own lathe, you can turn a "proper" mandrel for each caliber - both the mandrel diameter and the [QC]datum points (distance from the base) vary from caliber to caliber - and by using a 0.0001" reading dial indicator, get pretty good readings. Bill Niemi used to make and sell jacket wall "spinners"; per his dies, they work very well. I usually check TIR via both the lathe and via the Niemi tool and, assuming I have the correct mandrel installed, get exactly the same reuslts. Assuming a good press, I doubt that you'll need to worry about the external roundness/dimensions of bullets made using Niemi dies. Good luck! R.G.

Stephen Perry
09-26-2010, 01:08 PM
The subject of checking bullets wakes up a few from time to time. Most bullet makers are familiar in how to measure jackets for concentricity. Finished bullets are a product of how you set your dies up for core seating and point up. Measurements can and should be made during core seating to produce the final dimension needed before point up. After pointup dimensions on bullets are taken with a 1/10 mic and recorded at the pressure ring and bullet shank. The bullet spinning I do is after the bullet is seated in the case neck. Some correction can be made to line the bullet up with the axis of the chamber neck.

Grahm you will find that environmental items can affect dimensions. Those being ambient tempertaures, rate of production, lube application.

Bullet making becomes a methodical exercise, your arms and shoulders will let know that after a couple of sessions. For a new bullet maker take notes, set you dies properly and stay clean.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR