PDA

View Full Version : Buying new 204 brass ?????

John E Rupert
06-23-2009, 01:45 AM
Looking to buy new brass for my 204. I'm using Hornady and Nosler and noted that the Hornady seems to handle higher presure. Anyone have experience with the Winchester or Remington, and what are your recommendations. I'm thinking of picking up another 500 cases and manely wondered if the rem or win was as good or not recommended. Thanks.........

larryinIA
06-23-2009, 02:55 AM
Seems to be alright in my rifle, I haven't shot a lot of them numerous times, but the few that were used for load work up, seemed to last Ok. I saw a few boxes of Hornady brass today, and thought about it seriously. They remain with their current owner, at more than four times the cost. I would prbably have the barrel rechambered with a competition reamer before I spent more on brass. Maybe it is backwards??? The remington brass, in no matter which caliber I have used, seems to be so much thinner.

larry

John E Rupert
06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I guess I'll end up with winchester seeing how I can't anyone else to chime in.

trevort
06-24-2009, 12:36 AM
I bought Norma for my full custom 204 and honestly it wasn't worth the price for the accuracy improvement overy my factory 204 using prepped rem brass.

The factory rifle would always get 3 shots touching and then two more about a bullet hole apart. The custom usually gets them all touching but thats more to do with the rifle than the brass.

No problems with remington in my experience. My LGS just traded a 204 from a non reloader who kept his once fired factory brass and I got 180 hornady for the price of 50 new cases. It "looks" good and will be used in my lighter Shilen barreled 204.

Roger rodbolt
06-24-2009, 04:11 AM
I now only use Winchester 204R brass. Some lots look rough but are fine after the first firing, if you can buy the brass off the shelf buy plenty of a good lot. The Remington brass sure is pretty and uniform in neck thickness but like all Remington small primer brass the primer pockets will not take the pressure. All my prairie dog buddies have abandoned it as the primer pockets loosen quickly, Winchester will outlast Remington several times if both are loaded hot. Hornady is okay but pricey and has less capacity then the Winchester. I've got a small box of Nosler brass but have not prepped them or needed them....Winnie works fine, I loaded 1200 along with 1000 20BR (Lapua) for South Dakota this year and brought half of them home, unfired:(