PDA

View Full Version : What rimfire can easily be…..

GLWenzl
08-12-2009, 02:39 AM
What rimfire can easily be converted to centerfire…. Needs to handle HMR pressures, I don’t think a 590/591 will work (too large of a bolt face)

None ya say… Ok which one is the least hardest to do?

Any info would be greatly appreciated…..

trotterlg
08-12-2009, 02:55 AM
Centerfire what? A 300 Win Mag? Larry

casts_by_fly
08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
a contender? Flip a switch and you're back and forth.

thanks
rick

trevj
08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
What, pray tell, are you trying to end up with?

End goals defining the path, as it were.

Lesse. Martini actions are a relative easy conversion. Contenders, as suggested. The NEF series rifles. Winchester High and Low Wall rifles.

Buncha stuff out there. Need more info.

Cheers
Trev

GLWenzl
08-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Sorry for LOI :o

It’s a 17 Short Mag (CCM case)

Thanks CBF for coming up with a suggestion for me!!! ;)

A contender is definitely something I have not considered but actually a threaded mono block may be just the ticket??? I have NEFs but doubt that I would mess with one of them right now…

I will be using an existing barrel already chambered and fitted to a custom classic cooper and will be configuring it to some type of action (no reamer for this chamber ever made)

Looking to do it on a budget, lack of coins and lack of Coopers are the main reason I am not considering a cooper…

The 17 SM has been collecting dust, I want to bring it back out but have such a hard time taking the most all time fun round I have off that action (a 17 CCM)

I doubt that anything will work with the budget I am on but thought I would try…

thanks again CBF :) a really good option for me to think about since I have a threaded mono block being built with a 5mm Mag as we speak! A 77/17 HMR would be better choice if it wasn’t for the FP deal… a 77/hornet does not appeal to me at the moment but may later if I can not figure anything else out :confused:

nvreloader
08-13-2009, 05:16 AM
GLW

Per QL,
The max chamber pressures for the 17HMR is 26600 psi and the 5mm RF is 36985 psi. The 17 and 22 CCM are listed at 43511 psi each.

The 22 RF Mag is listed at 27557 psi and the 22 L Rifle RF is 29733 psi.

I know that the 590 series will handle the 5.7x28mm case pressure of 50038 psi as the 17 KF is still purring with no problems. (it gets checked about once a month for headspace and bolt set back etc, with over 1000+ rds down the tube so far). :D Sage bunnies are catching Hell. I have a 582 that is chambered for the 22 Hornet and doesn't seem to be causing any problems so far.

Per information that I recieved from a friend of mine that worked on and helped delvelope the 5mm RF case/action for Remington, that the action was proofed at 60,000 PSI, to handle the 5mm case.

There is a difference between the 580 and 590 series in the ejection port size and length of the front of the action where the barrel is threaded into the action, and the mag openings on the bottom of the action, etc!

Do want to give some spec's on this case and I'll help you all I can.
Don

GLWenzl
08-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks Don but I don't have any specs off the top of my head and not enough time right now to do a search but like I said in the begining HMR presures. I am shooting a 17 gr bullet at 2600 fps... No sweat I'll figure somethign out

Vibe
08-13-2009, 07:12 PM
What rimfire can easily be converted to centerfire…. Needs to handle HMR pressures, I don’t think a 590/591 will work (too large of a bolt face)

Why would the size of the rimfire boltface be an issue? The first step in converting to centerfire is to get rid of the rimfire boltface and replace it with one that fits your cartridge.

GLWenzl
08-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Sorry if I muddy the clear waters Vibe...

If I am not mistaken a 591-592 bolt face would be too large to begin with by a good .015” for my 17 SM case (maybe it wouldn’t matter?? It would probably just fall off during the extraction process???

A 22LR/17H2 can be opened up and I believe that a 22 Mag/17HMR would only need to be opened up <.020 and has the correct thickness

Cooper quit making the CCM and if they didn’t they still don’t sell just an action (I wish I could figure that one out??) So I am stuck with a threaded mono block contender unless I can find someone with experience with the rf conv

drewh
08-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Gary, if you are using the calhoun plans to make a 58X/59x rem action, since you are replacing the front part of the bolt it can be anything you want it to be as long as you can get the extractor/ejector to work. If I remember right trotterlg had a pretty good write up on doing one of those.

Drew

nvreloader
08-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I am shooting a 17 gr bullet at 2600 fps

Gary
Using this info, I ran a check thru QL and 95%+ of the loads that are proper and reasonable for this data, (Shown above) show that the pressures are 15,000 to 25,000 PSI.

This pressure is within the realm of the 17HMR pressures etc. I would not be afraid to use the 591/581 series action and mods for your 17 SM, depending on the length etc you might even get the OEM 591 mag to work with the 17 SM?

If that is the case, then a change of the bolt face to CF, proper extractor and LOOK OUT!, :eek: Here comes ANOTHER reloadable rimfire!!!!!!!. :D
Don
ps, If you want the spec's on the DIFFERENCES of the 591 and 581 actions (reference to ejection ports/mag ports etc), let me know and I'll send them to you.

MarinePMI
08-14-2009, 08:26 PM
The CZ 452 actions are pretty stout. You could just use one of those(?) and have a bolt made to fit. Since the lugs are actually on the bolt handle, it should be doable (easily making a new bolt body) and you'd have the benefit of a solid, one piece bolt.

Just a thought...

GLWenzl
08-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Thanks guys…

Don I have no real clue on its pressure but it sure seems like a very mild load and pushing the 17 gr v-max from a case that is in-between case capacity of the HM2 and HMR and running HMR velocity I just assume it is a real rimfire load… I am using a pretty slow powder for this size case and the WSPs are very rounded….

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/glwenzl/img086.jpg

Print (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6624&highlight=short+magnum)

warm welcome to the 17 Short (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3020&highlight=short+magnum)

The 17 SM (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3393&highlight=short+magnum)

I am not familiar with the JC bolt conversion and will look into that.

Will also look into the CZ (I have several of them to mess with) as well as the 77/rimfire when time permints!

Appreciate the input!!!