PDA

View Full Version : Rem 591 Project

TonyBray
09-16-2009, 08:41 PM
So I started with a clean Remington 591. The 591 is the box magazine vs the tube mag 592.

Next I added a Rem 581 stock from Richard's Microfit. The stock is a MonteCarlo in "camoflauge" laminate. I'm a lefty so yes, the cheek piece IS on the correct side of the stock :p This was my first custom stock as well.

Next comes the Timney trigger. The Remington 788 Timney will fit right on but requires some mods for the safety. Since I have a custom stock, I will just mod my stock instead and toss the original trigger in the box with the original stock should I ever sell the gun.

And finally, I have a 5mm Craig centerfire conversion on it's way to me. I happen to live close enough to Steve Schroeder to pay him a personal visit and use his go-nogo gauges etc to get everything all set up.

I'm happy to be a new member here and can't wait to share my shooting experiences with you guys!

--Tony
http://mysite.verizon.net/res890fb/images/5mmstock.jpg

17VLD
09-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Looks like you jumped in with both feet.Can't wait to see how it shoots.
Glad to see you on board,hope you take some pics of the varmints you take with the 5mm:)
Matt

Kiwishooter
09-18-2009, 07:53 AM
It's good to see some more people who stand on the right side of a rifle :D on the board.
I have a left hand 581 that I'm converting to centrefire, this is going to be a 20 Ack Hornet.
Since I only had the action I didn't have a atock, how long did it take to get the stock from Richards Microfit?.....Kiwi

TonyBray
09-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Reason was that the 581 stock isn't a standard stock they do often enough so you get hit with a setup fee. Then it's another setup fee for "correct" handers ;) They are terrible on communication but they did come through ok.

The stock's come way oversized. The barrel channel wasn't centered. The machine marks are deep, I had to use an orbital sander to down even with them before block sanding. They claim like a 90% press fit for this inlet, more like 80%. I bought a good set of hand wood chisels at the local craft store to fine tweek everything. It's shooting pretty good so far but I will know more after I start loading centerfire rounds for it. I may need to add something back below the barrel, not sure yet.

Was it worth it? Cost was nearly $200 US with tax and shipping. Easily 40 hours of hand fitting and finishing. Gun now weighs a good bit more than the original but the weight helps stabilize my off-hand. I got the "varmint" contour on the forend which is flat on the bottom for bench rest but very grippable otherwise. The cheeck piece get's me eye-level with the high mounted scope and it's really nice to feel the correct side of the cheek piece instead of the back side like a right-handed gun for a change!

HTH!

--Tony

GLWenzl
09-19-2009, 01:39 PM
awesome report! You have me wanting to trick out one of my 591s now!!! I like what you have done with the trigger, that is news to me!!!

TonyBray
09-20-2009, 02:31 AM
But it's coming soon. I hope its ok to post a link here...
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159079&highlight=timney+788

It's supposed to fit right in but the safety needs to be altered to fit the stock or the stock should be modified. Since I have a custom stock, it's simple enough to modify it.

--Tony