PDA

View Full Version : Piston driven .204 AR-15

sdbirddogs
09-22-2009, 11:09 PM
A local Smith here in SD is working on and almost finished with a piston driven .204 AR-15. I am very interested to see the final product. If anyone is interested in his contact info, let me know.

nvreloader
09-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Ruger
Just brought out an AR-15 copy in 223 cal, that is piston driven along with several of neet features, just stated reading about in the latest American Rifleman that just came today, price is less than $2000, :D
Don

JoeZ
09-24-2009, 03:30 AM
I should be taking position of a Sig 556 any day now. 10 barrel and iron sights keeping 3-4 MOA at 100yards was very simple even unsupported. Looks like an M4 but funtions like an AK-47

impalacustom
09-25-2009, 05:23 AM
To me the gas piston AR's are a solution looking for a problem. I wonder how many Ruger will sell for that price.

Larry in VA
09-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I read the article in Rifleman about Rugers new AR type rifle, sounded a lot like it had a tad bit of advertising hype to me. Besides the obvious exception to the rule Ruger and semi autos have never gone well together, IMHO. Maybe since it is a copy and not one of their auto own designs it may be a good one, hope so for that price. I’ll take a wait and see attitude on the new AR.
Larry

ab_bentley
09-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I will say this, I have used gas driven and piston driven AR's in combat, and I would much rather have the piston driven. As you know the AK47's are piston driven and as a result they're one of the most reliable autos made. Same princable behind the AR, I have seen handfuls of talc sand dumped into the action and it still goes bang. Plus the bolt stays clean and free of carbon no matter how many times it's fired. It stays as clean as the Inertia System by Benelli, we all know how clean those things are, 10,000rds and still going strong in some of them.

22_boomer
09-25-2009, 04:39 PM
For those looking for an AR platform for a smaller round that might be marginal in the gas volume department, the piston systems take less gas volume to operate. My problem right now is the commercial gas piston conversion systems are a bit expensive.