PDA

View Full Version : press for .20 to .19 reduction die?

lukefenech
10-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Hello Everyone, I'm new and excited.

In the last stages of assembling a ZKW465 in .19 Badger and would like advice on what single stage press I should get for my bullet reduction die. A mate has given me an old Lyman Partner??? I think.... it's well used as he was a pro 'roo shooter but I am assuming it will be strong enough for this purpose. Am I incorrect? I have not done any bullet swaging/reduction before so It's all new to me. Also, what is a good lubricant I can use for the process?

Kind regards and a big hello to Johno who introduced me to this forum.

Kind regards, Luke

Mntngoat
10-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Any good SS press should work... RCBS, Lee cast Redding. I'd probably use a lanolin based lube.

ML

johno
10-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Welcome aboard Luke, its a great place to sit, chat & learn

Johno

iiranger
10-21-2009, 08:10 PM
#1). The two old standard high pressure lubes are lanolin and castor oil. They can be mixed. Nothing is better. Maybe as good but no better. Little hard to get off compared to LEE sizing wax. Water soluble. You won't believe Imperial Die sizing wax until you try it. Lee is close IMHO.

There has been a formula on the net for making a spray lube out of lanolin in a pump with dilute of alcohol I think. Search and you should find it. It was with Ed's Red bore cleaner in a list I copied.

#2). Mr. Corbin, Dave (has a brother Richard--rceco.com) is the guru in this field. He has his book on the web site for review or download, corbins.com, book "Rediscover Swaging #9" ... Free guidance. Of course he hopes you will buy something... that is his business.

#3). Frankly Lyman had a series of dies/press out just before my time. It was based on the Ideal black powder dies of buffalo hunter days. 5/8's inch diameter. [Last I looked still availabe in the "nut cracker tool", model 310.] Not bad for reloading but a trifle light. You should be able to get away with this, BUT press bullet making dies are usually not for this smaller size and if you don't look like "the Hulk" you will. It is called WORK and you sweat.

RCBS stands for Rock Chucker Bullet Swage. Mr. Huntington got his start with dies to make bullets from fired rim fire cases. The Rockchucker press was part of this. Has a leverage knuckle to multiply your force and make your work less taxing. Might want to look there.

The Corbins make presses for bullet swaging. Plenty of leverage. Not a whole lot more cost. And roller bearings. If you plan to do much, ??? If not, lube the iron you choose well and keep it lubed.

Mer. Blackmon, no web address, address in back of Gun Digest Annuals, also makes a press for swaging only and dies, reasonable.

I have run down. Questions? Ask. Luck, happy trails.

RicN
11-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Just about any reloading press will work, have made hundreds of 19's using my RCBS Junior but Rockchucker makes life easier. The best lube I found for this; plain old STP-

Jordan
11-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Hello Everyone, I'm new and excited.

In the last stages of assembling a ZKW465 in .19 Badger and would like advice on what single stage press I should get for my bullet reduction die. A mate has given me an old Lyman Partner??? I think.... it's well used as he was a pro 'roo shooter but I am assuming it will be strong enough for this purpose. Am I incorrect? I have not done any bullet swaging/reduction before so It's all new to me. Also, what is a good lubricant I can use for the process?

Kind regards and a big hello to Johno who introduced me to this forum.

Kind regards, Luke

Luke smart move marrying up the ZKW 465 and the Badger. What a sweet package. Did you have to modify the bolt face or the extractor at all for proper feeding?

Thanks,

Jordan