PDA

View Full Version : My 17 Fireball rechamber (from MIV) XP-100

sshcoyote
10-28-2009, 01:54 AM
Have had this rig for awhile but it's turning into my favorite coyote fur gun (actually has been for 5 or 6 years now). I'm currently running the Horn. 25 HP (PD load) @ 3400 out of the 16 3/4" Shilen. Actually bought this gun used about 10 years ago from Bob "Lizard" Waltzer, but it's shot just about everything i've run thru it great--29 Kindler, 30 Berger, Hammett, and Starke, 25 Horn. HP and 20 gr. factory loads. 4-12x Burris Mini BP reticle. Yeah i hate the machining mark in front of the action too-but it doesn't affect the performance of it, so...? Probably should've taken it back to the gunsmith, but i guess i'm too nice.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t49/sscoyote1/IMG_0715.jpg

trotterlg
10-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Shame on him for leaving steady rest marks on you're pour barrel! Larry

RareBear
10-28-2009, 04:09 AM
I see the barrel has a flat finish, would bead blasting pretty much take out the barrel mark? By the way, is the barrel free floating in the stock?

trotterlg
10-28-2009, 04:48 AM
And it looks like he spun the muzzel in the chuck while he was at it. In all fairness it is hard to not leave a mark on the barrel when doing a rechamber, I have some nylon bars I use in the steady rest to help out, but even they can leave a mark. About the only way to not leave a mark is to make a collar to go over the threads, clamp it down, turn it round and then run the steady rest on it. Bead blast the marks you have and it will look good. Larry

sshcoyote
10-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Thks. I'll give it a go. The muzzle has a cap on it as it was threaded for a break a few years ago. Yes, it is completely free-floated thru the barrel channel. I'm pretty sure the stock is the old one that used to come from the custom shop, just reworked by Bob. Stock work was his specialty.

Alan in GA
10-28-2009, 10:14 PM
after owning a few lathes and doing a few barrel/chamber/rechambering/contouring jobs....I've come to admire the steady mark [circle] and muzzle shank [which centers the barrel O.D. at that point with the bore].
I think of them as 'accuracy beauty marks' now!: )
I've used nylon/teflon buttons on the ends of my steady rest jaws lubricated to attempt to NOT marr bluing...but now I just think any mark a lathe makes on a barrel is something that gives it character.
By the way even roller bearing steady rest jaws will burnish a circle in a barrel.
Pretty blued shiny barrels ain't for huntin' anyways.:D

sshcoyote
10-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Here's to it.

Easy_E
10-29-2009, 02:19 AM
Your gun is in the perfect caliber. I'm probably a little twisted for liking battle worn guns . I rather have a ruff looking shooter with a story than a low round count safe queen.

ab_bentley
10-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Second on that there Easy, I too love the look of a well used squirrle gun. Evey nick the briars leave is like a story. I can't wait to get some stories on the new cooper.

sshcoyote
10-29-2009, 04:16 AM
X3. I'm of the same opinion. I have an old 6AI that i use for "damage control" coyote hunting that fits that concept as well as any i guess. Here it is with a 385-yd. dog--

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t49/sscoyote1/051_51.jpg

larryinIA
10-29-2009, 01:16 PM
I wonder if that dog is a pure bred yote? Sure looks like it is crossed with something else?

I too like a gun that is not afraid to get dirty, and go through the briars, I hate getting the first one (gouge) though. It is particularly fun when you bring that scraggly old dog to the range, and shoot a group with it, and have someone notice.

Larry

sshcoyote
10-29-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm in total agreement. That rig has a 26" Shilen #5 taper that shot great in it's infancy. It shoots OK now with the 87 gr. Horn BTHP. It has the 4-12x Burris Mini with BP reticle and has accounted for a number of coyotes beyond 400 yds.

Larry, that coyote is a mange dog. He and his partner were killing this rancher's cats and rabbits, and i was lucky enuf to get them both. They were living within 1000 yds. of the rancher's house. Hunting in a damage control manner is extremely rewarding when it works. Here's his buddy that i got with the aforementioned 17 @ 300 yds. with the 25 Horn HP. I use the same optic on this rig--

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t49/sscoyote1/031_31.jpg

The ranch is in the trees just to the left of the fencepost the coyote's hanging from. The 6mm dog was shot very close to the telephone pole to the right of the windmill a couple weeks later. I saw both of these dogs running together the day i shot the 1 in this pic. Look at the mange patch on his shoulder.

Ackman
10-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Paint that machine mark gold then say it's a "gold ring" Shilen barrel.

sshcoyote
11-02-2009, 04:31 AM
Ha--may just try that!