PDA

View Full Version : Bullet pointing?

mt204
10-29-2009, 02:29 AM
I haven't seen this addressed yet so here goes.
I have been shooting a lot of Midsouth 34 grain varmint nightmare bullets in 204 Ruger.
I have gotten these to shot groups of .25 moa or less @ 100 yards in two different guns.
Being as these are hollow points would there be any advantage to "pointing" these bullets?
I have not been able to find anyone that makes a 20 cal pointing system but have talked to one mfg that might make a custom one up. He said that he had never had a call for one in 20 cal.
Now I realize that I could buy many other bullets in poly tips but these are such a great bargain at $39.95 per 500 it's hard to not use them.
Would they shoot any better pointed, especially farther out or am I wasting my time even thinking about this?

ray h
10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I got some of these bullets for fireforming , turning out the 20 Mink likes them. I was thinking about a point up die( and this only closes the point) also. For the cost you may contact Larry Blackmon for a die thats really a point up die shaping the bullet and maybe making it more concentric, might even change the ogive too. I don't know if this would damage the core/jacket tightness, one of the bullet makers might have some ideas. Larry's dies are steel but appear to be priced better than Widners pt up die. Just an idea I had last year but never followed up on it.

Varminteer
03-09-2010, 01:56 AM
I was interested in modifying the cheap ($40 per 500) Midsouth 17cal 20gr HP's bullets using a Meplat Trimmer then closing the hole with a tipping form die. Might help with accuracy and improve the BC. Most likely they would lose the explosive effects so enjoyed on PD's.

Just thinking out loud......

ab_bentley
03-09-2010, 02:48 AM
I too am interested in a 20/17 Cal pointing die and meplat trimmer. I think the dog town bullets would be improved by this process.

Mntngoat
03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Hows the consistency of the Dogtown bullets.
Do they hold together at small caliber velocitys?
J4 jackets cost me $.09/ each. lead, labor etc, just adds to it.

Varminteer
03-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Mntngoat,

The .17cal 20gr pills have held together to 4300fps.

What do you think of closing the tip on them?

trotterlg
03-11-2010, 07:50 PM
I have thought about it since Berger stopped making the 30gr Match bullets and went to near all the Varmint style tips. Larry

Mntngoat
03-11-2010, 08:08 PM
i think it would work fine but when you factor in die cost and time is there really any savings in lieu of buying V max's or ballistic tips?
Whats the drop chart show between say a berger and midsouth bullet?

ML

Varminteer
03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
If the benchrest shooters can do so can we. Cost or time practicability has little to do with it. At least that is what I tell the wife, just before she rolls her eyes.

So the world does not come to an end! Someone needs to spend the money and get a meplat trimmer and tip reforming die for the midsouth 17cal 20gr and Hornady 25gr HP pills. Officially added to my project "list". Only problem is the list is getting a little long.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it...... this might even stop the global warming problem. Hope she understands the importance of this quest?

Mntngoat
03-13-2010, 08:09 PM
That's the same thing I told my bride when it came time to buy bullet making dies. Needless to say it's no cheaper nut I get the satisfaction of shooting my own bullets!

ML