PDA

View Full Version : My smallest and largest...so far

TOO Builder
11-05-2009, 03:09 AM
I mostly lurk here and learn but in response to ab_bentley's post about a gun of the month I thought I could share a couple. I have posted these on a couple other sites but I'll offer them up here again.

First is one I put together about three years ago. It started life as a Savage 12FV-S (single shot) in 204R. The stock is from a blank I made up myself out of hickory and then sent to Joel Russo to inlet and shape. I finished, installed the pillars and bedded it. I couldn't get it to shoot how I would like so I had a 1-11 twist Pac Nor chambered with a no turn neck 204R reamer installed with no nut used. It now shoots to my liking and no more keyholing the 39gr. BK's!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_1540.jpg

This one is last winters project. Again J. Russo did the shaping etc. and I did the finish but he used hard curly maple on this one. Savage RB/LP target action with a 30", 1-8 twist McGowen chambered in 6.5x55AI.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_2339.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_2422.jpg

Both rifles are a joy to shoot and have met my accuracy expectations. Heck of it is, I find myself expecting more with every build;). TB

larryinIA
11-05-2009, 03:17 AM
that is a couple good looking rifles, and nice results. I really like the stock on the LRPV. I wan tto have my 204 rechambered with a no turn, tight neck chamber. It shoots .4's now, would like to see what it is capable of with a better cut. I have messed with loads to no end, so that is about the last thing I can think of to make it better. It is hard to justify the money for it though, since I don't shoot competition.

larry

Easy_E
11-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Good looking guns you can defiantly tell what stocks they were carved from.

Silverfox
11-05-2009, 01:56 PM
TOO Builder--GREAT LOOKING RIFLES!!! Both of the stocks are works of art in my book. Besides looking good, they shoot good too--definitely a winning combination!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Dave Moore
11-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Most definitely two great looking rifles. Once you start getting smaller and smaller groups the quest for extreme accuracy seems to become addictive just like small calibers. Like alot of others I enjoy seeing what everyone else is shooting. Sometimes it inspires a project that you may never have considered before.
Dave

ab_bentley
11-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Love that Maple

TOO Builder
11-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks guys. I enjoy reading about other peoples projects and reloading ideas. Several times I have read people post that they could never build a rifle like the one that is in the particular post they are viewing and posting about however, they themselves are no doubt a very accomplished reloader and marksman and would likely posess the skills to put together a very attractive and accurate rifle.

I myself have not taken my reloading to the level that many of you do but thanks to places like this and people like you I can sit and read, learn and enjoy my hobby.

I do also enjoy coming up with ideas and doing as much work on my project rifles as I can. By posting pictures I hope that it may inspire others to give it a try and realize that they can do it also.

This rifle was actually an off-shoot from the hickory stocked 204R. When Joel finished the stock for the 204R he called and in the conversation he asked what I wanted to do with the left over wood. Thinking there would just be sawdust left I replied "What wood?". He informed me that there would likely be enough blank left for another stock. The wheels started turning and I had been thinking about a benchrest style rifle. He returned the left over wood, I shaved off 3/4" from both sides and replaced it with birdseye maple and then added the padouk fore arm tip. I then returned it to him for shaping. This one I turned into a 6x47 Lapua.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_1364-1.jpg

This winters project is probably much more fitting to this board being a 20VT. My blank just went off for shaping and I was told 16-18 week minimum wait for the Shilen barrel so now, as my wife would say, I have to put my patients pants on! TB

larryinIA
11-06-2009, 04:45 AM
How many you have? Keep them coming.

That is another sweet looking rifle. Okay, I am getting closer to messing around with some nice wood. Scares me a little, not cheap stuff. Where are you getting the blanks? Are they expensive ones? I have thought about keeping some wood from trees that I have cut sown, and starting the aging process, but 12-15 yrs is WAY beyond my patience level. Yesterday usually isn't soon enough.:)

larry

TOO Builder
11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I like to come up with my own blanks. The 204R and 6x47 Lapua are out of a blank I made myself. I glued it up out of alternating dark and light shades of hickory. The 6.5x55AI is a solid piece of curly maple that Joel located.

As far as price goes the sky is the limit but I do have limits. That piece of curly maple was $125 and is the most I have paid. I made the hickory blank out of left overs from a cabinet job that my cousin did and cost me next to nothing! You can find blanks on ebay also, that is where I got my current blank. Proper wood selection is a consideration but you don't have to break the bank and I like to try do something a bit different then you see every day. TB

RePete
11-06-2009, 02:58 PM
What an improvement in cosmetics...
I'm not much of a Savage guy,, but I shot one of the LRPV's in 6BR that could very easily make a convert out of anyone.

Nice rifles, and VERY nice work on the stocks..

Charlie

WaltherP99
11-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Nice shooters!