PDA

View Full Version : Ultra light Coyote rifle

trotterlg
11-29-2009, 07:01 PM
As if I didn't enough projects going, I am building up the lightest weight (without taking extreme measures) Coyote rifle I can make. I started out with the Rossi Youth 22/410 combo rifle. These are built on a narrowed frame and are quite a lot lighter than any of the other Rossies or H&R's. I bored out the 410 barrel to use as a stub type project like contenders or H&R are done. I used a Savage .223 takeoff barrel turned down to .580 full length and mounted it in the stub, it is slightly over 18 inches long. I still have some more work to do, but it is chambered in .22 Hornet and it shoots. As it is pictured it weighs 3.6 pounds, so with a scope I think it will be about 4 3/4 pounds finished. Larry

http://www.22-250.com/ulcr_1.jpg

larryinIA
11-29-2009, 08:09 PM
I should look into doing something like that for my sons. I just wish I had the abilities, or training, and equipment to pull it off myself.

Nice rifle, let us know how it shoots.

larry

Easy_E
11-30-2009, 02:41 AM
That would make a light weight rifle. How big a caliber would that stub take ?

ab_bentley
11-30-2009, 02:42 AM
at 4lbs the 22 Hornet is going to kick like a mule, lol.

trotterlg
11-30-2009, 03:07 AM
I don't know how large a round you could use in it. The barrel they use is about .580 diameter, I bored the stub to that and then put a half inch thick "rim" at about .675 at the rear to hold it in. I then dropped it in from the breach end and bedded the whole thing with JB weld. I will put a pin through the assembly just for good measure, it is sort of like a barrel insert without the barrel around it. The breach thrust of a .410 is what I would say the limiting factor is, as well as what the chamber wall could stand. I used a 22 Hornet because I think I am safe with the pressures it generates, someone with more math skills than me could probably go to higher pressures and larger sizes. Also, you are right about kicking some, I can tell you that marketing this gun as a youth shotgun in .410 3 inch round in a gun weighing in at less than 4 pounds is a real shame, it would just knock the snot out of some pour 6 year old kid. Larry

Easy_E
12-01-2009, 03:06 AM
I have a 7mm-08 take off barrel for a song if you want to build a light weight deer gun.

trotterlg
12-01-2009, 03:14 AM
I've got a 7mm barrel sitting here also, just don't know what to do with it. Larry

Yotecallr
12-02-2009, 02:26 AM
A T/C Contender rifle is light.

trotterlg
12-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Finished it off yesterday. It weighs 3.8 pounds as pictured. With an 8 oz scope and aluminum rings with a sling it should come in at under 5 pounds by a fair amount. A Contender is just out of my price range, I have a total of about $125.00 in this one now. Larry

http://www.22-250.com/ulcr_2.jpg

denphillips2
12-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Dang you Larry!

That is just a neat idea. I already got a line on a cheap 410.

Looks like you used a band to screw the forend on.

I am thinking of doing one in 17AH. I have always wanted one of those anyway, and I think I have a take off 17 Rem barrel. Don't know if it is any good though...

Like I need something else to do! LOL

So how does it shoot?

Denny

trotterlg
12-20-2009, 09:28 PM
It shot fine I think, I had saved the target but can't find it. With S&B factory it was an inch at 50 yards, so I would say that hand loads will make it better. I also rechambered teh 22 LR barrel to .22 Mag, but I haven't shot it at a target yet. Larry

http://www.22-250.com/ulcr_4.jpg

denphillips2
12-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Be careful with the 22WMR on a 22LR bore. The LR is .001 smaller by the book. Now the Rossi is most likely oversized anyway so it may not be a problem. Might not be a problem anyway.

OK, you just switched the picture on me, didn't you?? I was going to ask you what that other one.

Denny

trotterlg
12-20-2009, 11:25 PM
That other one was a Remington 581 conversion to Hornet. The Rossi barrel was a microgrove and was tighter than most .22's. The 22 Mag pilot fit easily so I guess it can't be too tight. I have fired a couple of CCI plated through it and it seems OK, don't know what RF pressure signs are other than a blown out case, but it looks OK to me. Larry

denphillips2
12-20-2009, 11:40 PM
I would say that would about your only good sign. I thought that looked like a 581, but the barrel threw me for a loop. I know why now.

Did you just cut the 410 barrel off? It does look like the barrel is two piece. Joint where it steps down to the small diameter. Maybe it is just a sharp corner in the machining of the barrel.

How did you end up doing the extractor? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to solder an extension on it, and that might be about the easiest.

Thanks Larry!

Denny

trotterlg
12-20-2009, 11:52 PM
The barrel is two piece, I distroyed mine by drilling it out from the breach, but the part that I recovered looked like it was screwed in with extremely fine threads, funny thing was it appears it was screwed in just in front of the chamber, so the chamber was in the stub part and the barrel was screwed into it. I just put a .580 hole through the stub part, turned down a takeoff Savage barrel I had to .580 full length leaving a sholder on the breach end about 1/2 inch long and about .650. I bored a counter bore in the breach at about .652 and coated everything with JB weld and dropped it in, when it was all set up I turned the breach off flush with the origional, cut an ejector slot in it. I silver soldered a little extension to the ejector and was all set after chambering it. Larry

trotterlg
12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Here is a breach picture, I think you can see the way it was done. Larry

http://www.22-250.com/ulcr_5.jpg

denphillips2
12-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the help Larry.

Pretty straight forward and easy to do.
Just need to find the time now :rolleyes:

Have a Very Merry Christmas!!

Denny