PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk gunsmithing lathes

AKmik
12-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Hello all,

I figured this would be the place with all the projects in the works. If a guy was looking to tool up with a lathe for the usual threading, and chambering barrels, as well as all the finish work. What are we talking about here.

Grizzly gunsmith lathe anyone?

What comes to mind for the best deal on a quality lathe?

My shop needs this capability. I have many many ideas, but could never afford all the machine work. I need to be able to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aII2tbavKnM

who has a lathe, lets see the set up?

Hornet lover
12-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I have that video. If you would like to borrow it let me know and we will work something out.
John

AKmik
12-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks John.

I already have it as well.

trotterlg
12-23-2009, 04:39 PM
I do all my work on an Atlas 6 inch lathe with a bed extension. It is plenty of lathe if you are just doing hobby type work, you can do anything you need to do, it is just slower. I do have a simple milling attachment so I can cut ejector slots and mill ejectors and other small parts. If I were to do it again, I would get one of the Atlas 10 or 12 inch lathes with the longer bed, I believe they will hold about 36 inches between centers. Don't consider using the hole through the headstock to do longer barrels, it is not useful when doing tapers on a barrel by offsetting the tail stock, you need the full length bed. I would try to hold out for one with a quick change gear box, but I get along fine with change gears. All parts for them are avaliable new or on Ebay, the price is right and they do work. Good luck. Larry

Bill in Ky
12-23-2009, 11:00 PM
I have a 10x36 Sheldon, it has a 1 3/8" spindle hole and most come with a taper attachment. Power cross feed and a quick change gearbox is standard.
The are really well made machines.
Take a look at the last page of my site:
http://pdshooter.home.mchsi.com

GLWenzl
12-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Looking forward to hearing more on this myself….

Seen one at the shot show and it looked fairly decent when you figure how its set up and with everything it comes with…… but have never operated one… I have had a fair amount of time this year on a couple different clausings and I really like em….

If I had the $$ I would start out with the Grizzly GS lathe and after being spoiled it would be hard for me not to have a DRO. make sure to get yourself a Noga dial indicator base, you won’t regret it.

impalacustom
12-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Larry, I have a 6x18 Atlas as well. It does everything I need it to do but I don't chamber with it as I don't have the extension. I also have the milling attachment, never used it as I am in the process of buying a 4 axis milling machine and converting it to CNC. I have given thoughts of converting my lathe to CNC but I still enjoy the manual part of it. Larry you ever look at A2Z for toolpost and such http://www.a2zcnc.com/default.asp

DRO's would be nice but with the CNC it's all read out on the G-code on the screen. DRO's are kind of expensive too, plus my atlas has a bit too much run out to really be too useful and accurate for gunsmiting like chambering and sometimes threading can be tricky.

I am moving it inside the basement this winter and cleaning it all up and putting new half nuts on and seeing if I can get the run out a bit less.

Eric

trotterlg
12-24-2009, 04:13 AM
I am thinking the bed extension was really made to use when turning wood on the lathe. I mounted both on a steel C beam and then shimmed them level. Then I cut an old lead screw and added it on to mine, so it has full travel on the bed, the extension is about 18 inches long. I take care of the runout by using the centers and steady rest most of the time, I do have a more precise chuck with a morris taper I use in the headstock when I need something with more precision. Chambering with it is one of the easiest jobs, when I am cutting threads on the barrel I make sure the area in front of the threads is even around the bore by taking a very light cut with the breach end of the bore in the tailstock center, then when I chamber it I just run the steadyrest on the true part of the barrel. Like I said, it can do what you need you just have to think a little harder and do a little more work. Larry

denphillips2
12-24-2009, 02:15 PM
If anyone is interested I know where there is a good Jet 13x40 for sale for $2000 in Southern WI. It was a friend of mine's lathe. He was a gunsmith, but he passed away a couple years ago. That is about all his widow has left of his gunsmithing stuff. I have sold most of the rest for her.

I would like to buy it myself, but just don't have the extra $$ laying around for a second lathe.

The lathe itself is in very good condition. He made the stand for it out of 1/2"-3/4" plate steel. VERY sturdy stand! He also put drawers in the stand. Comes with everything the new lathe comes with and more.

Have a Merry Christmas Everyone!

Denny

PeterS
12-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Years ago I went to a used machine tool dealer in Troy NY and brought home a Logan 920. It is a well made lathe. Logan was one of South Bend's competitors. Mine is from the 50's. At some point in history I think that Powermatic either bought them out or there was some sort of deal there. If you can find one in good shape with the tooling & accessories for a good price I think you should consider it. I think my 11" has a 1 3/8" thru hole. The 10's are smaller. The spindle on mine runs on two large preloaded ball bearings whereas South Bend had large sleeve type bearings. Both worked very well and I don't know that one is any more precise than the other. The down side of these lathes is that they are nearly 60 years old and likely to have had a lot of use/abuse. The Jets and Rockwell are very good lathes as are the Sheldons. Depending on where you live you may find quite a treasure. Good luck, Peter.

trotterlg
12-27-2009, 05:35 AM
This is not mine, but it is llke I would be looking for if I were in the market for a hobby gunsmith lathe. The price is right, with a milling attachment, steady rest and some odds and ends you would be all set. Watch for something like this local to you. Larry

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/tls/1525563742.html

sicero
01-31-2010, 02:20 PM
I have a South Bend heavy 10 with a 1&3/8" hole thru the headstock and a 4.5 ft bed. Parts are easy to come by and it is heavy enough to do some real work. I also have a 14.5"X 84" South Bend but the headstock is longer and real short barrels would have to be done in a steady rest. "I'd rather have a root canal." I wouldn't consider buying anything less than 4' or a small thru hole. My lathe is used for rifle barrels a few times a year and for machinery or lawn mower parts much more. Kenny