PDA

View Full Version : New 20AH Project

DBCFR
01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
am starting a new project on a 20 K Hornet and I am stuck in a CA Condor zone and this is why I am going with a 20 K hornet and not the 17AH.
what I need to know is what barrel twist will stablize the .204 26gr barnes VG bullets?...and what other bullet options will it stablize for out of the condor zone/lead bullets?....

this project is a XP100 action switch barrel one bolt face for hornets and another 308 bolt face for a 20 BR based on a #8 taper 3 grove Pac-Nor super match barrel a jewell 6oz trigger and a boydes stock PTG bolts and Mike Badella smith work (if any of you are down in my neck of the woods Madera Ca he is very good and quick turn around time he is a REM action master)give me a IM and I will give you his number if your looking for a good smith...

this project is for a quieter little round that I can use out to 200yds for shooting squeeks(my 22K doesn't like the 30 gr VG's at all)...and it has to be 20 cal because of the lead bullet ban and for now Barnes is the only game in town I sure wish somone would come up with a 17 cal no lead bullet if they do down the road I will add a 17 barrel for a 17AH... hey I may just add it anyways for out of the condor zone shooting or target fun...

the only good luck I have had with the barnes no lead bullets is in a custom switch barrel 700 ( By Mike ) in 6 x 47 and 221FB. the 221FB likes almost anything I put in it 36gr VG's at 15.6gr LiL'GUN @ 3600fps and 3/8"to1/2" groups but the 40V-max at 3500fps is a .1 round (and I can't use it around here any more :mad:)... but that gun is another story :D

RebelSquirrel
01-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Thats a shame about the lead bullets. First they took away the barbs from your fish hooks, now your lead bullets. Forks and spoons will be next.

DBCFR
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
So True......:eek:

Larry in VA
01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Since no one has answered your original question yet (and unfortunately I can't answer your question either) so I would suggest you call/email Barnes and ask them your question. If any body would have that info I'm sure Barnes would. I cut and pasted this info off their website...

“If you have questions, please contact customer service at 435.856.1000 Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm and Friday from 8:00 am - noon. For technical information and catalog requests call 800.574.9200. You can also send us an email at: email@barnesbullets.com.”

Their Website is http://www.barnesbullets.com/

Hope this helps...
Larry

ab_bentley
01-08-2010, 10:48 PM
A 1-11" is proper. The lenght of the bullet is longer and therefore needs more RPM's. If you were using a bigger cartridge then you could go with the 1-12" but the same reason you need an 11" twist is the same reason K. Harrington advocates the 10" twist in the 224 hornet family. When you shoot (100+ yards with the hornets) longer ranges the bullet has more stability and therfore gives better accuracy. If I were you I would go with the 1-11" even the 1-10". You won't loose speed and you'll gain accuracy. Remember you're burning 12-14grs max in that cartridge, a fast twist won't take velocity away.

Mntngoat
01-13-2010, 12:27 AM
I ran some numbers and a 26 grain bullet at .595" length (I use a .595" length jacket for my 32- 35 grain bullets) and 11 twist barrel will be fully stabilized at 2,461 FPS using a 1.3 stability factor which is considered fully stabilized.
That would be the minimum velocity needed to stabilize.

a 12 twist would require a minimum 2,979 FPS.

ML

DBCFR
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Thank you AB , Larry and Mntngoat,
I did decide on a 1:10" as at a later date I may just want to set the barrel back and re chamber and use it for shooting heaver bullets...Knowing that the extra spin would not hurt at Hornet vol. so we will see...this will be my first sub 22cal center fire...the first of many to come I am sure as this one is not done yet and I am already thinking of a 20 vartarg and a 20A Bee and maybe even a 17 AH...I just hope the 20 AH shoots as good as I think it will as right now I have no idea what to expect in the way of preformance?...any ideas?... I really liked the 17AH but the no lead ban where I shoot most of the time really put a damper on that one...thanks for your help

ab_bentley
01-18-2010, 02:51 AM
DB, you'll like the hornet but I think you'd love the Mink even better. I campaign for this round a lot but after shooting it, I feel it's better than the original cartridge. Plus it still feeds from the mags with no mods. What action are you going to use?

DBCFR
01-19-2010, 04:11 AM
AB,
This gun will be built on a XP100 it is kind of a interesting project...I had one with a bolt that was bent about .005 so we are making a sleeve out of 416 AC tubing and reaming the action to .705 and turning the bolt to .704 installing a sako ext. and cutting the bolt ring down to .063 and cutting a extractor grove in the barrel and indexing the barrel to the action with a screw in pin so that it can be easily switched with another barrel and the grove will be indexed using the screw in pin (real quick change set up)...other barrel maybe a 17AH or a 17 or 20 mink or maybe the whole set then I am going to order up another bolt from PT&G in another bolt face to play with a few other rounds...Also AB I wanted to ask if you knew of anyone who had any ideas about dies for a 20AH....I have ordered the sizer die reamer and will build that as my die print is a tight one with a .224 neck but I had seen a thread about a converted LEE collet die set up for a 17AH on a 17rem collet die I was wondering if any one had done the same thing with a 204 ruger collet die? and also if a extended shell holder was needed and if it was would a RCBS extended shell holder work?.....this was a little long winded sorry...I am just a newbie and taking my first plunge into sub22 cal. centerfire...

ab_bentley
01-19-2010, 05:25 AM
See there's the kicker, I don't know of anyone who stocks the 20AH, Todd Kindler at the Woodchuck Den would be my first choice. As far as the LEE Collet die, if you can work a lathe then yu should be able to make the inserts, a few people make their own inserts here. LEE will make custom collet die for 50$ or so. For the action, that XP100 is enough action I tell you. In this instance I would go where you feel the need to, meaning go with the caliber you feel you need. The dies we are talking about aren't cheap, wether its the 20AH or 20Mink. Plus they preform almost identical to eachother. For barrel length, go short. In fact I wouldn't use over 22" for either round. But this is just my 2, Adam.

DBCFR
01-19-2010, 07:38 AM
On order is a Pac-Nor super match ss 3 groove #8 taper so I will most likely be cutting it back to around 21" that will give it about 1.00 muzzle and being so heavy I am thinking of a nice spiral flute job... The gunsmith I use is a good friend and he gives me free run of his shop to play around with my guns he does the important work I pay him for that and I learn from him...It's nice being retired and having the time to play/learn...besides that way I can really be involved with making my guns the way I want...:D

DAVE S
02-08-2010, 04:02 AM
I just finshed a 20 ackley hornet this weekend,redding had my dies in stock,custom series die number 80737.Ihad to order them from sinclair.I also got my reamer that matches them from pacific tool & gauge.

RebelSquirrel
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm very interested in what kind of accuracy and velocity you guys get with the new 30gr non lead Hornady pills. Please keep us posted.