PDA

View Full Version : Adams and Bennett

redrock ranger
03-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Anyone use these barrels ? How do they shooot and clean up . Varmint contours more accurate . Lookig at .243 barrel . Thanks .

drewh
03-14-2010, 03:24 AM
I have used a few of their blanks. I have had pretty good luck with them shooting well, but they seem to have a bit shorter life. If you are not hot-rodding them they seem to be ok. I bought 2 of them when they were closing out the stainless 17 barrels. I used 1 to test a cartridge design and it shot pretty well. I gave it to a friend after and he chambered it as a 17 Rem. and it shot pretty well, but the throat went away fast. I have shot one the the 6mm barrels in a 6BR and it shot well, but I didn't leave it on the gun so can't comment on the life of it. I also have one on a 30-06 that puts 3 in a little clover leaf and as much as I shoot it I probably will never wear it out.

Drew

Drew

Ackman
03-18-2010, 01:28 AM
In early '99 I had 2 - 223AI barrels done at the same time by the same riflebuilder.....#1 was a Schneider, #2 was an A&B. Both chambered with my reamer, both 14" twist, both have the same contour and with brakes. The A&B was a gamble at about $90 but I figured to give it a try. The Schneider is very accurate and cleans with almost no effort. The A&B was 200fps slower with the same 40gr load. With 50's it never shot better than about 5/8"-3/4" and that opened to maybe 1" as it heated up. It cleaned about like a factory tube. It was cheap and now it sits on a shelf, to me it's a fluted jackhandle.

Midway gets these blanks and machines them in their own nearby machine shop. Adams & Bennett is just a name, like Sears Kenmore. So, Midway buys blanks cheap enough to machine/chamber them, sell them real cheap, and still make a profit. How good do you think they can be? One friend worked with a few of them and they never shot very well either. As far as I'm concerned, mine is junk. Maybe some people have had good luck, and maybe it also depends on what your standards are. At best I'd say they're a crapshoot. Don't cheap out, get a top quality barrel.

zeke06
03-19-2010, 08:56 PM
I re-barreled a Rem 700 in 243 a couple years ago with a A&B blank. for the price there hard to beat. I had to try a few diffent loads but finaly found one to shoot about 3/4 in. @ 100 yards. I will say they do copper foul a bit and take awhile to scrub clean. For a cheap rebarrel job for a hunt'n gun I wouldn't think twice.

dondford
03-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I have used several A & B barrels and have been pleased with them all; but you have to be realistic in your expectations. All mine were built on hunting rifles. You can't sub-moa groups from a $90 barrel. A group "opening up to 1" when hot" is plenty good enough for me in a hunting rifle. IMHO, the A & B is a solid value for the money if building a hunting rifle.

I have heard that Shaw supplies the blanks, but I have never seen this confirmed.

trotterlg
03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
My information on them is that they are just a seller of barrels and they can be made by any one of numerous makers, just depends on who has spares they need to sell off. Larry

Chuck Miller
03-29-2010, 06:53 PM
My info mirrors Larry, they come from several sources. I currently own 2 rifles with their barrels screwed on and both will shoot moa. Last week I was at the local range and 2 guys next to me were shooting a Ruger 30-06 with nice 2" groups using factory ammo and were high fiving each other. I was pissin and moaning about my 17FB shooting 1", I guess it depends on your expectations. My opinions mirror most serious shooters, good hunting barrel. On the other hand the thought of saving 125.00 on the total cost to rebarrel always seemed nickle wise and dollar foolish.

redrock ranger
03-29-2010, 08:37 PM
I've got a Hart and a Pac Nor and McGowen . I understand what quality is. The Adams and bennett needs to shoot 400 yards on Prarie dogs . It will be chambered in 6 x 222 magnum Ackley 40*.

I've read the reviews on the Midway website and they don't seem all that bad other than copper fouling ???? I was looking for more input about them.

There is a new Shilen waiting for my 40 X when i get back from this springs shoot .

The Adams and bennett is going on a Savage 12 BVSS .

Keep the opinions coming and thanks for the info and first hand experience .

IOWADON
04-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I bought a rifled one in 20-gauge from which I had a 20-gauge slug barrel assembly made for a Thompson-Center TCR-87. It shoots well and the bore seems to be as smooth as glass, much better than the other slug barrel I have from a different outfit.