PDA

View Full Version : Can this be done?

Idaho Bob
04-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Can a bolt action in 22 Hornet be rechambered to 22 K Hornet without removing the barrel from the action ? May be a dumb question, forgive me if it is. Asking for my computerless son. Thanks

Chuck Miller
04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I"ve seen several K Hornets where the guy walked in and $40.00 later walked out with a K Hornet, It's actually done by hand. I'm not convinced it's the way I would go but yes it can be done.

john
04-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I asked a gunsmith about this. He said it could be done and he'd seen the results several times; an interesting sort of banana shaped chamber. My rifle was one of those he was talking about. He did say that he would not do it, under any circumstances, at all.

Vibe
04-09-2010, 02:26 PM
I'd rechambered one rifle, by hand, without removing the barrel. But I replaced the bolt with a bearing sleeve to keep the reamer straight. I wouldn't call it the preferred method, but it can be done.

Rbertalotto
04-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Because the Hornet headspaces on the rim and not on the shoulder, you do not need to remove the barrel and set it back a thread. A standard, rimless Ackley is actually .004" shorter than the parent round. But with a rimmed cartridge the Ackley round is actually a bit longer than the parent round.

I've seen some real great shooters on Contender barrels converted to Ackley , by hand. 30-30 and Hornet come to mind.

If it is done correctly, you can be left with a nice chamber. But it all depends on who's driving............

Crowhunter
04-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I had it done to a Ruger 77/22 hornet. I did not see any problem with it. It did not shoot any better or any worse than before. The fired rounds looked normal.

AWS
04-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I've done a couple by hand, 223 to 22-204 and 6x47 to 6mm-204 and if you go slow and pay atention they turn out just fine. A rimmed case is even easier as you don't have to worry about headspace as much as you can adjust your sizer to match the chamber. You can't do a true AI on a rimless case by hand but you can do an 30-35-40 dergree Improved by hand but you have to form your brass the same as any othe Improved where you move the shoulder forward.

AWS