PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 7, 17 Fireball - discontinued

Bad Wolf
01-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Just checked the Remington website and it looks like all Model 7's in 17 Fireball have been discontinued. :(

IMO, the rifles with this chambering were brilliant. So, what's going on - and is the future cloudy for factory 17 fireball ?

kenbro
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Bad Wolf,
I don't think the 17FB has the same following in the UK as in some other countrys.
A big down side over here is the cost of factory ammo for those who don't reload.
Do you shoot a 17FB and use factory ammo?
Regards,Ken.

wirelessguy2005
01-21-2011, 01:43 PM
the 17 FB factory ammo is pricey enough here, I can only imagine how bad it is for you guys. There is an updside to that in my opinion, It encourages reloading and that's a huge plus.

Bad Wolf,
I don't think the 17FB has the same following in the UK as in some other countrys.
A big down side over here is the cost of factory ammo for those who don't reload.
Do you shoot a 17FB and use factory ammo?
Regards,Ken.

jdunham
01-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Just checked the Remington website and it looks like all Model 7's in 17 Fireball have been discontinued. :(

IMO, the rifles with this chambering were brilliant. So, what's going on - and is the future cloudy for factory 17 fireball ?

Sounds like something Remington would do. :rolleyes:

Mntngoat
01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
while i don't own one. This is one rifle I would seek out.

ML

kenbro
01-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Very true Brad, but, when the 17FB first appeared in the UK, I'd never heard of Saubier and nobody had new brass for sale. The only source for me was from factory ammo and even that was hard to find.
Regards,Ken.

Bayou City Boy
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
...and they are still showing the CDL and the Predator as being chambered in 17 FB. On the CDL, the listing for the 17 FB is down near the bottom for some reason.

No listing for the 17 FB for the Model 7 Synthetic......... ??

-BCB

Bad Wolf
01-21-2011, 06:27 PM
...and they are still showing the CDL and the Predator as being chambered in 17 FB. On the CDL, the listing for the 17 FB is down near the bottom for some reason.

No listing for the 17 FB for the Model 7 Synthetic......... ??

-BCB

Listed, yes, but with a Status of Discontinued.

Unless I'm mistaken. :)

Bayou City Boy
01-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Listed, yes, but with a Status of Discontinued.

Unless I'm mistaken. :)

And if you look farther up and down in that column.... all but the 350 Rem Mag has been "discontinued" in the CDL........at this point in time on their web site.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-seven/model-seven-cdl.aspx

And all of the Model 7 Predator calibers are "discontinued"........at this point in time on their web site.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-seven/model-seven-predator.aspx

Suppose we should expand the internet rumor and say that all but the Model 7 Synthetic (no 17 caliber listing) have been "discontinued" plus all but one old chambering in the CDL...? :)

Maybe something new is coming............? Or something old is disappearing.....? Or the web master screwed up...... ?? Quien Sabe..?...at this point in time.....

-BCB

Dave Allen
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Boy haven't been to Remmy's site in some time. Looks like they've hacked up the BDL line pretty well also.

As far as the 17FB goes, I could only find it in the SPS line. Dang...:(

TOU
01-21-2011, 08:52 PM
HELLLLLO CZ-USA...I hear opportunity knocking! :p Now get'r done!

"If you will build it...we will buy it!" :)

montdoug
01-21-2011, 11:38 PM
In talking to friends that are owners/managers of 4 different sporting goods and gun shops around here I've been hearing that even out here in gopher country the .17 Fireball sure ain't tearing up the patch. Great round that it is I'd still make a ten dollar bet they discontinue the round within a year or two.
In business "if it ain't selling, it ain't staying" :(.
Sure hope I'm wrong but I've seen a lot of great rounds go away cause the sales numbers just aren't there. On the horrible chance I'm right and in-spite of the fact I can make brass for it if need be, I still have 500 pieces of .17 Fire Ball brass set back for a rainy day.

Dean2
01-22-2011, 12:11 AM
They are selling a heck of a pile in Alberta, but all in, if everyone in Alberta that shoots gophers bought one it woouldn't be enough to keep it on the shelf. I love mine and whether they keep making it or not, I will always have one. Going to have to stock up on a 1000 or so more brass, so I don't have to neck down my 221 supply.

Larry in VA
01-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Remington and Marlin are moving there factories this Summer I believe. This might have something to with the lack of stock. However this is just a wild a$$ guess on my part.
Larry

montdoug
01-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Hope your right Larry :).

jim barker
01-22-2011, 03:36 AM
would love to have a model 7 in 17FB - I'd tear it apart and make a 17-222 out of it. like the CZ but I'm a 700 fan first.

Easy_E
01-22-2011, 03:44 AM
The guns would sell they are no more expensive than any other Remington rifle.
The problem is they look at the Remington ammo prices and shy away. Seventeen fireball loaded ammo is more than twice the price of .223. When Ruger came out with the .204 all ammo manufactures jumped in with their ammo. Why didn't anyone do this with the fireball ? The .17 bullet has been around alot longer than .204 bullets ? I wonder to myself if Remington wanted to be the only ammo supplier ? Kinda like the printer ink cartridge business.

PS Random thoughts too tired to retype I'm going to bed .

montdoug
01-22-2011, 04:11 AM
If the round is selling big numbers everyone makes ammo for it cause there's money in it. Not only that but everyone produces rifles chambered for it as well, as they did with the .204 which is a good seller. Anyone know of another rifle company making a .17 Fireball? Not a good seller, hence no CZ rifles and no ammo forthcoming.
I just checked Remington's web site and as mentioned above they aren't showing a lack of stock, they have "discontinued" all but one rifle in the .17 Fireball. That my friends don't bode well for the future of the .17 Fireball's existence, I seen this kinda thing before. I'd say it's on the top level of the endangered species list as we speak.
My guess is if ya want one ya oughta go looking real soon, I'd be surprised if there weren't a bunch of em on Guns America. Or go directly to the source and build a .17 MachIV which this is a clone of anyway. We were shooting this round a long time before Remington brought out a slightly tweaked "re-do" of it and if they dump it completely we'll all still be shooting one anyway :D. What do the bean-counters know anyhow? :rolleyes:

kenbro
01-22-2011, 07:39 AM
I managed, without too much effort to pick up a VTR (triangle) in 17FB for very little money. Used it for a 19FB.
Ken.

AlbertaAl
01-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Rem Model Seven "PREDATOR" in 17 Fireball....this has a camo synthetic stock and camo colored steel.

Anyone have an opinion on this model?
Personally, I don't like the rounded forestock and camo paint.
I read an internet article that didnt rate the clip system very highly because it would jam occasionally.

kenbro
01-23-2011, 09:00 PM
AA,
Acording to my rem catalog the wooden M7 had a 20" barrel and the predator a 22" tube.
Ken.

Alex
01-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Wasn't even close to being in the league with my Coopers. I bought it to be a "throw in the back seat of my pickup" gun. Carried pretty nice, but the accuracy was problematical. With 10 minutes between shots, it was fair, but three shots in a minute would have at least one flyer! :mad:

The "new" Remington triggers for the Model 7 fell into two groups, nice and awful. Problem was that you couldn't adjust an "awful" one and no one built a reasonale replacement trigger for it. Sonny Pruitt and I got rid of ours within a month of each other.

Alex