PDA

View Full Version : Remington 788

K22
10-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I think I'm finally at my wits end with this darn rifle. This is one of those times when I'm quite sure that this rifle hates me.:mad: And to think, I rescued it from a Pawn Shop when it was on its last leg.:rolleyes:
It was originally a 223 when I found it, but oh my, was it in terrible shape. The stock was all gouged and dented, the barrel was pitted inside and out, and the bolt along with the trigger were so gunked up they would hardly move. With a bit of cleaning the trigger and the bolt smoothed up, but the barrel about ruined one of my bore brushes. Just for the heck of it, I shot a few of my 223 loads through it and would you believe it shot under an inch. Even with all of that pitting.:eek:
When I first seen this 788 in the Pawn Shop I knew it was a perfect candidate for a 17 cal. project I was wanting to do. I sent it off to have it rebarreled to a 20" sporter weight 17 Rem.. In the mean time, I took a 788 Timney trigger out of a 581 Rem. I had and since I'd reshaped the safety lever and the bolt stop to fit the 581, I order a new safety lever and bolt stop from Timney to convert it back. Then I discovered the great wonders of a band type sander and went to work on the stock. When the action and new barrel came back , David Van Horn did the rebarrel job, I pillarbedded it and gave the stock a new finish job.
Accuracy is everything I had hoped it would be, BUT I cannot get the darn thing to eject. Feeding is perfect, extraction is perfect, but it will not let them clear the action.
Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? The ejector works fine. The best I can tell is that it tries to eject them to soon and the empty case mouth hits the inside of the receiver.

Oh, and here's a picture of the rescued rifle.
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac296/Ringenberg/Rem788-4.jpg

Jim

Eagle_view
10-06-2009, 12:48 AM
K22,

I think that you are at your wits end with this rifle, so
i think you should send it to me----you knew I was going to say that, right-- but different from all the other posts like this, I will send it back, fixed.

give me a call at 360-432-2339 and we will talk about it.

Lowell

K22
10-06-2009, 01:33 AM
I knew I shouldn't have posted a picture of it.:D

You would fix it AND send it back!! Holy Cow!! Will it need rebarreled again when I get it back? :D

I'm tied up this evening and Tue. evening, but I will give you a call Wed. evening.

Jim

nvreloader
10-06-2009, 05:29 AM
Ya want to sell it? :D ;):p
Don

trevort
10-06-2009, 06:29 AM
there is one of these for sale on our local gun sale site for a very low price. I take it they are worth rebarrelling then?

K22
10-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Ya want to sell it? :D ;):p
Don

Don,
This is one of those unappreciative rescued/adopted rifles and would cause you much heartache. I just couldn't live with myself if I put you through that kind of anguish.:D

Jim

K22
10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
trevort,

They may not be the best actions for rebarreling, but if the price is right I wouldn't hesitate. All of the 788's I've owned in the past were very accurate rifles and this rebarreled one edges out 2 other 17's and 1 204 that I have.
Just so there is no misleading, the other rifles I have are factory barrels, so I'm sure if I rebarreled one of those it would shoot as well as this 788.

Jim

Eagle_view
10-06-2009, 03:08 PM
The 788 action is very stiff and the lock time is very short. If chambered and rebarreled in moderate (standard) pressure cartridges they do very well. Some have found that loading higher than normal pressure cartridges can move the bolt back and the rear locking lugs are thught to allow streching of the cases in some calibers. In otherwords a 22-250, .243 .308 will do fine but some cartridges that run into the 63K PSI might have some problems over time. Pressure, number of shots per year (life) of use seem to be important with this action. Magazines can be hard to find at times. Ejection is near vertical and can cause trouble too. There are a lot of very satified users of the 788 out there.

Lowell

varmint x
10-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey all. My first post was to going to ask question but I do love my 788 .308 and also have ejection problems so thought I would share my experience. Have you tried ejecting without the scope on? Every brass and loaded shell that comes out hits the windage turret so I have to hold the gun sideways to let them fall out after they bounce back in from the scope. Done it so long I hardly think about it. Mostly shots are at game seldom target practice off bench.
Varmint x

UpNearTheBorder
10-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Hey all. My first post was to going to ask question but I do love my 788 .308 and also have ejection problems so thought I would share my experience. Have you tried ejecting without the scope on? Every brass and loaded shell that comes out hits the windage turret so I have to hold the gun sideways to let them fall out after they bounce back in from the scope. Done it so long I hardly think about it. Mostly shots are at game seldom target practice off bench.
Varmint x

I've owned 6 of these guns and quickly learned to mount the scope so that they are turned 90 degrees counter clockwise from standard. In otherwords you will use the windage on the scope for elevation and visversa. Works slick and you get those great dumb looks from your shooting buddies.

montdoug
10-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Nice rifle K and as many here know I'm a fan!
I've heard of the dread ejection problems but have yet to experience them on any of the 788's I've had, knock wood. Maybe the fact none of mine have been smaller than .22-250's has something to do with that.

Here's a couple of gratuitous re-posts of the one I just finished. It was a particularly nasty .22-250 and is now a 6X47 Lapua with a 1 in 12 Kreiger on it. Greg Tannel did the smithing for me and lets just say I'm tickled pink!!!
First the rifle in it's original walnut stock (if you can believe it). I did the stock.
Then a couple of groups shot during load development. These are the current loads I've settled on by the way. The 65 grain V-Max at 3,700ish and the 70 grain Hornady SXSP at 3,460ish as memory serves (that bullet is designed for lower velocities).
Yes a well tweaked 788 is a shooter :D.
Not small caliber but hey, it was all Fireballs fault, he made me do it.

The rifle.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/montdoug/0282.jpg

The groups, (the good ones of course ;)).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/montdoug/005a.jpg

Love them 788's

trevort
10-07-2009, 02:15 AM
yes, I remember your beautiful rifle, thats what prompted me to ask the question. Luckily the rifle was sold when I next signed on so no pressure was placed on my happy marriage!!!!

K22
10-08-2009, 03:05 AM
Whoa Montdoug, now that is a beautiful looking 788. Of course, a nice camo paint job would really "spruce it up".:D So if you want to send it to me, I would happy to paint it for you and like Eagle View, I'll even send it back. Oh ya, be sure and send lots of ammo for it. I would need to make sure the paint didn't harm the accuracy.;)

K22

Wagger
10-08-2009, 03:52 AM
The 17 Rem is the length of a 222Rem mag, which is just a little bit longer than the 223 case. Thus, it might hang up trying to eject from that chamber.
Wayne

montdoug
10-08-2009, 07:57 AM
I think it's already camouflaged as a fair decent piece of factory walnut :D. I know I was sure surprised when I got all that nasty cracked varnish off of it and got a couple coats of true oil started on it. Here's a close up after about 7 or 8 coats and a Pachmayer Decelerator added cause it's now a big-bore and I been turned into a wimp here on Saubier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/montdoug/0422.jpg

I also was fortunate enough to get a rockchuck under it's belt before they went beddy-bye for the year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/montdoug/001.jpg

By the way, if you need parts I found a place in Edmonton that bought out all Remington's old 788 parts when they closed out the 788 stuff completely. I bought bottom metal, a trigger guard, screws etc. for a real reasonable price and that was after three guys told me to forget it cause I'd never find anything I needed so the old rusty stuff would have to be bead blasted and refinished (expensive). The place was a good find for an old 788 fan.

As to your most generous offer to paint it for me, I think I'll file that one with all those generous offers to shoot the kinks out of my new stuff that other kind board members have offered in the past ;).
Even though I'm gonna pass on the paint job, in all seriousness I like it on yours.
Let us know what ya find on the ejection issues and how it comes along for ya in general. As I said, I'm a fan.

varmint x
10-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Up Near The Border
Yeah that would of been easier but I bought the gun used with an older Tasco on it and have never needed to change it. I have had the rings with scope still in them off the base for cleaning and other stuff, put back on and good to go. Rarely had to adjust the scope but a few clicks and have really abused the heck out of it. If I ever change the scope will probably do the twist with it.
Varmint x

Easy_E
10-09-2009, 01:38 AM
I don't know the guy selling this . http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=719264