Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CZ 527 parts info (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24813)

thskeer 01-28-2014 01:30 PM

CZ 527 parts info

Just because I am always pinching pennies, I though I'd share what I just learned. It may be old news to all, but what the heck.

I have a pair of 527's in 22 Hornet, and flat hate the CZ ring's and their height. I much prefer a lower scope mount, even though I always seem to have a 40mm AO objective lens. All I could find to fix that situation was Clahoun's Hunker Mounts and his modified bolt handle, both fine workmanship but a little pricey for a coyote gun I'm going to paint camo anyway.

While on CZ's website getting a replacement stock I saw they now make a lower profile bolt handle for 35.00. Part number looks to be 5270-0631-08ND. FYI Calhoun's is 48.00 plus your bolt handle in exchange. Well I bought it to see how much it helps.

I also bought the Warne 1" medium rings part #1B1M which are supposed to be .425 from base to bottom of ring. They were about 45.00 from MidwayUSA, as opposed to the Hunker mounts at 84.00.

I also got the BobSled single loader form MidwayUSA for 50% off. 17.50 was a heck of a deal!

Anyway, I mounted the rings on the 2012 year 527 Hornet with a Leupold 4-12 40mm AO scope. The rear ring has a machine screw that serves as a recoil stop fitting into the notch in the receiver. That was a poor fit due to the angle of the notch. I just unscrewed it and chucked it in the drawer - dont think my hornet recoils THAT much! So once that was solved the scope went on, and lo and behold I have good clearance on the objective lens. Well I give it a try and the stock bolt handle was a no go. Off comes the scope and trade to the new bolt handle and it has at least .100 clearance!

Very cool, and fewer pennies. Just some info someone else may be able to use.

Tom

hemiallen 01-28-2014 01:41 PM

Good info on the new bolt handle. I just placed a big order with them and removed the bolt handle just before paying for the order, wish I didn't remove it.

If you can, I am curious if their new bolt is just shaved at the top dogleg like the "sanding mod" I think Calhoon does, or is the bolt handle "bent" differently than the factory one? I am thinking of modifying a factory handle using just a disc sanding wheel, as the stainless extended bolt I have now is way too long and funky for my likes.

Thanks

Allen

RowdyYates 01-28-2014 03:33 PM

If I remember right, the Calhoon handle I once had appeared to be bent, not ground, fwiw.
At any rate, thanks for the heads-up on the CZ option. I'm about ready to round up another CZ 527, probably a .204 Varmint.

Tparrish 01-28-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemiallen (Post 191575)
Good info on the new bolt handle. I just placed a big order with them and removed the bolt handle just before paying for the order, wish I didn't remove it.

If you can, I am curious if their new bolt is just shaved at the top dogleg like the "sanding mod" I think Calhoon does, or is the bolt handle "bent" differently than the factory one? I am thinking of modifying a factory handle using just a disc sanding wheel, as the stainless extended bolt I have now is way too long and funky for my likes.

Thanks

Allen

My 17 Hornet came with the new handle just looks longer and a little skinner then the originals at least to me it does,

Tom

260Ackley 01-28-2014 05:04 PM

thanks for the info. I just ordered the same mounts and bolt handle, picked up a spare mag at the same time. I was contimplating this for a while, but was unsure how things fit together. Glad you did the hard work for me. :) Nothing against calhoon but would prefer to buy the factory handle, and I like the cost much more. I'm glad new cz have this fixed, as they are great quality guns, and this seems to be an oversight for years. Kinda like a beautiful model with hairy legs, catch up with the times already.

thskeer 01-28-2014 09:24 PM

One other thing I forgot. J&P has hex head action screws, for those interested in something that can be torqued to the same inch-pounds consistently.

Chuck Miller 01-28-2014 10:09 PM

replacing the bolt handle

What's involved in replacing the bolt handle? Went to their site and was frankly amazed at how many parts are available at reasonable prices.

junk man 01-28-2014 10:12 PM

bolt replace

takes all of 15 seconds,, remove bolt and screw off the end and replace handle.

sicero 01-28-2014 10:23 PM

I also have socket head actiion screws for the CZ 527s.
Two clamp screws sockett head.
For the eight little screws in the CZ rings,we now have socket heads.
All CZ rings use the same screws, be it rim fire or 550 centerfire.
Socket heads action screws for Cooper rifles also. Kenny

toomb 01-29-2014 12:38 AM

I have used warne medium rings on my cz's.