Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need 20 Vartarg die information (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1552)

RickC 03-12-2007 10:12 PM

Need 20 Vartarg die information

I have a 20VT in the works and want to get reloading equipment ready. Any suggestions on dies and where to get them would be appreciated. I have seen some info on using .224 seating dies, is this a good alternative?
TIA
RickC

georgetwalkerjr 03-12-2007 10:40 PM

Redding

I recently acquired a .20VT, and bought my dies, Redding, from Todd Kindler at the Woodchuck Den. I prefer Forster, but they don't make the 20VT dies yet....even as a custom product....as Redding does. Which .224 seating die were you thinking about using?

Alex 03-12-2007 10:48 PM

Forming the 20VT is just ...

... necking down with 20VT full length die. While they are more expensive, I recommend the Redding FL die.

Redding makes both a Competition (expensive) micrometer topped seater as well as the standard seating die. Hornady makes a FL die and a seater that has a micrometer top accessory available. The Hornady FL die sizes the brass down too far, however, so I can't recommend it.

The Wilson arbor press seater die with a Sinclair micrometer top works quite well also. You have to buy an arbor press (100 bux) to use the Wilson dies, however. You can use the 221FB seater dies (I have done so with my Forster "Ultimate" 221FB seater. (And George, you can get a spare "slug" from Forster and have it cut to use with the 20VT - I'll bet they's do it for you)

You'll like the 20VT. It is inherently accurate, easy to form brass for, and has all of the positive aspects of both the 221FB and the 17M4. This group of guys on Saubier will help you spend money like it grew on trees, so be careful! :D

Alex

georgetwalkerjr 03-12-2007 11:21 PM

Interesting thought......

Alex: thanks for the interesting thought re Forster. I had communicated with them about a custom Ultra Benchrest seater die for the 20VT, but hadn't thought about having a "slug" machined to a stem that'll work......will advise.

20vt 03-13-2007 09:35 AM

HI Rick C i have a new redding type s-bushing style full sizing die and a standard setting die both are new ill take $75.00 plus shipping thanks 20vt

RickC 03-13-2007 02:31 PM

You Have a Private Message

or email me at **rcochrane@att.net** delete the *'s
RickC

jim saubier 03-13-2007 02:50 PM

thats a good deal.

I have the Type S FL die and a wilson seater die. The wilson seater die doesn't quite fit so I need to send it to Wilson with a fired case to get it adjusted. The headspace is too short on the seater die, which results in the case head sticking out of the bottom of the seater die instead of being atleast flush. In the interim, I'm using a .221 Fireball seater die and it seems adequate thus far. I will hope to fire a few cases in this gun and get my Wilson seater fixed up shortly. i was planning to go out this weekend to shoot it, the weather was great, the plan was good but I landed in the hospital for a few days and never made it outside at all. maybe this weekend if all goes well.

Chuck Miller 03-13-2007 03:17 PM

Mr Cheapie here

I use a 221 FL without the expander with a hard cam over for the first stage of brass forming. Then a Redding 20VT S series neck die and finally seat with my Hornady 204 seater which is not case specific. It loads straight ammo so I've not spent any more money on dies for the 20VT. I send all my spare money to Kevin Weaver:D .

dondford 03-13-2007 07:14 PM

I use Redding and have been pleased but like Chuck prefer the Hornady seating dies for most of my bullet seating. I love the drop down bullet guide.

Don