Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Load Data (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   30 cal sabots & 22 cal bullets (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18755)

cpt-t 06-14-2012 05:41 PM

30 cal sabots & 22 cal bullets

Have any of you tried this I am trying to shot them in a 30-06. I have tried 4 different 30-06 rifles. I am using 55 gr BT bullets in the sabots, I got the sabot kit from E Auther Brown. My brother in law uses thoe Remington atcelerators in his 2 30-06`s and they shoot very well. He uses them for Ground Hog`s and Coyotes and he swears by them. He buys all the factory REM Atcelerators he can find and has for a long time. I can`t get these sabots to shoot for any thing, I must be doing something very wrong. If any of you have had any luck loading these sabots, I would sure like to know the secret on how to do this. Thanks in advance for any help or advise. ken

AzSam 06-17-2012 09:01 PM

Hi Ken,
I just hate it when a query goes without a reply. I tried some several years ago in a .308. using 55gr Horn SP and 2015. After trying to put a couple of groups on paper at a 100yds I came to the conclusion that a round of 00 buck from my 12ga aside from the velocity difference shoots just as well. Granted after only seeing a couple of holes in the target further interest was quickly lost. I have not tried any Rem factory rounds. Maybe you could talk your buddy out of a round and disassmeble it and see what the powder charge weight is. Granted there is no way to determine the powder type, but at least one will get some idea if it is ball or extruded, short or long grained. The only available data I have found requires the purchase of new sabots, nothing like spending more good money after bad. Reckon there is a reason we have the light weight .30 cal. V-max and TNTs. Sorry I wasn't able to provide what you were looking for.
All the best, Michael.

Dean2 07-07-2012 01:42 PM

I tried the sabots in a 308. Never could get the accuracy I was looking for at distances over 50 yards. When I weighed and measured the Sabots I could get, they were not exactly perscision made and I think this was the biggest problem.

Went back to just shooting everything at distance with the 130 grain Barns TSX I use for hunting. For Partridge, I loaded Hornady .310 muzzle loader round balls, with 4 grains of Trail Boss under them, and use that. Lots accurate to 50 yards.

cpt-t 07-07-2012 02:30 PM

30 cal sabot`s 22 cal bullets

AzSam & Dean2: Thanks for your help. I just thought it was me that couldn`t get these to work. I just thought, I would use my 30-06`s more I really like the caliber. I have used the 30 Cal 110gr V-MAX for several years, and have had good luck with it. Also the 270 CAL 110 gr V-MAX works for me very well. I try to turn every rifle I have into a Varmint Rifle or at least that is what my Son says. I really like to shoot coyotes Thanks again, ken