Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cooper vs Dakota (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10741)

Ted J 07-06-2010 08:34 PM

Cooper vs Dakota

Anyone have any input on the Dakota Predator rifles. Been thinking of getting something - already have several coopers and was thinking of a predator just for something different. Was just wondering if these are just as good a shooter as the cooper rifles are.

Mntngoat 07-06-2010 09:47 PM

ted do a search here for them Lots of write ups dating back to when they first announced them.

ML

sdbirddogs 07-06-2010 09:56 PM

I have owned both and as far as accuracy is concerned my Predator in 20 Vartarg is every bit as accurate as any Cooper I have owned. It's been a total toss up for accuracy in the models that I've owned IMHO. It boils down to personal taste and the fact that you may get more bling with the Cooper if you are comparing price points. ($2000 Cooper vs $2000 Predator). No checkering or sling studs with the Predator and you have to look HARD to find really nice wood. That being said, the fit and finish on the Coopers and Dakota's that I have owned has been fantastic.

HOGGHEAD 07-06-2010 10:25 PM

I have only owned one Dakota. I bought it new. I think the year was 1990. maybe 89.

I was at the SHOT show and saw their rifles. They were beautifully made.

I talked to the rep. And he said Dakota was committed to building the best looking, 100% functioning(or reliable operating) rifle. He said our emphasis is NOT on accuracy. It is on 100% reliability. I added a 3X10 S&B to the LH 280 Remington rifle. And it was a real beauty. But as advertised the best I could get was about 1-1/2" three shot groups.

I just could not live with that, so I got rid of the rifle.

I believe the price was $1200 for the rifle(not 100% sure). I should have kept the rifle because the prices went through the roof. So I sure hope they shoot better. Tom.

Furhunter 07-06-2010 11:01 PM

I have 5 Coopers, 4 M38's and a M22. I have 2 Predators one in 17FB and another in 20 Tac.

One thing is for sure the action (Nesika) on the Predator is butter smooth and has a much better feel than any of my Coopers. Accuracy wise I havnt really had a problem finding a load any of the rifles liked. The Dakota is heavier, little thicker in the grip but rides the bags real nice. The wood on the basic predators isnt as nice unless you special order it (extra money) Yes a 2000 dollar Cooper will get you very nice wood, you must search long and hard for decent looking wood on a 2000 dollar Predator.

Lance Hendershot has a peach of a blonde (maple) predator right now in 223. Its nice, but 3g's yikes! Hes had it a long time though, might be willing to deal a bit. Someday I'll have me a blondie, I really like the look of maple!

trotterlg 07-06-2010 11:07 PM

And the money you pay for a Preditor won't go to keep Obama in office. Larry

RebelSquirrel 07-07-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trotterlg (Post 76715)
And the money you pay for a Preditor won't go to keep Obama in office. Larry

Dan Coopers board made him resign after all that Obama stuff then later Dan Cooper sold the whole biz to the owner of Wilson Arms (makes the barrels for Coopers).

philip 07-07-2010 01:02 AM

I have both and will continue to buy both as long as i can afford to......

Ted J 07-07-2010 04:46 AM

Thanks for the replies. I too have several coopers 38's, 21's, a 16 in 243wssm, and like shooting them all. I even have a 21 turned into a switch barrel 17 rem and 223 ack. Was just itching to get something different for a change. I keep going back to the Dakota's and I guess if I see one with some nice wood and a different caliber probabl go for it. Just never knew anyone that owned one.

Bighornbob 07-07-2010 01:46 PM

predator heavy

I was at fellow members home last night and looked at his Dakota Predator. I had never handled one until then. Very well constructed rifle. Much heavier than the Cooper. I feel way overbuilt for the 17/20 cal. I would love one in a heavier caliber. The action is twice the thickness of a Cooper, much thicker than the receiver on my 375 RUM or 460 Weatherby Mag. I don't understand why it is so beefy. This was my first impression, too heavy. Beautiful rifle.

Bob