Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bullet Coatings (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16436)

wirelessguy2005 12-26-2011 11:24 PM

Bullet Coatings

I was curious to see if any of you are using a Bullet Coating by the name of Rooster Jacket?
I just recently spoke to the owner of the company that produces this product and he assures me that its one of the best bullet coatings available on the market today. Originally it was designed to be used for lead bullets, however many shooters also use it on copper jacketed bullets to reduce barrel fouling.
According to the manufacturer "Rooster Jacket is one of the most versatile bullet lubricants in the world, this water-based liquid lube dries to a glossy clear, hard, tough, waterproof waxy film of high-tech lube which is tightly bonded to cast or swaged bullets. It contains no volatile solvents, but it does contain rust preventatives for steel, and corrosion inhibitors for brass and copper. The cured film has a melting point of 210º F."

After speaking with the owner of the company I believe this product is similar to what Todd Kindler calls his SPL bullet coating. Although the owner of the company says the Rooster Jacket product has a higher melting point than SPL and also dries to a much harder coating than SPL so that it wont rub off when dried.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on this and also see if anyone would be interested in trying some.

TinMan 12-26-2011 11:30 PM

Are they related to or the same company that makes 'Rooster Red?" It has a decent reputation for use on cast lead bullets.

Vartarg 12-26-2011 11:41 PM

Hbn & ws2

I've been using WS2 (Danzac) for several years, but am just in the process of trying HBN: Hexagonal Boron Nitride.

I'd definitely be interested in giving the product a try.....

George

wirelessguy2005 12-27-2011 12:05 AM

I have never heard of Rooster Red, I looked on the manufacturers website and couldn't find anything on it either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinMan (Post 123573)
Are they related to or the same company that makes 'Rooster Red?" It has a decent reputation for use on cast lead bullets.

montdoug 12-27-2011 01:17 AM

I knew that name rang a bell so I went Googling. Here's a couple links that are on Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/503...et-lube-hollow

http://www.midwayusa.com/content/leg...ing_points.htm

Here's their home page.

http://www.roosterlabs.com/index.html

I know nothing about this stuff but I was sure I'd heard of it (odd name for a product). Nice to know a little memory remains :o.

jholp 12-27-2011 11:13 AM

Spl

I currently use Todd Kindler's SPL wax coating. It is very simple to apply and appers to work quite well on the sub calibers. I have not used it on the larger bores because I normally don't have copper fouling with large bores.

The wax does not appear to have a strong resistance to being wiped off so I don't carry loaded ammo in my jacket pocket while huning - rather I carry the ammo in a "egg-crate" type ammo box where the bullets do not touch anyting.

I think it is worth while and may be the reason that Todd Kindler's loads seem so hot. One can use more powder with this product, that may be too hot for bullets not SPL waxed.

John

larryinIA 12-27-2011 12:13 PM

I would be interested in trying the Rooster Jacket, and the polishing liquid.

Larry

wirelessguy2005 12-27-2011 02:07 PM

For comparison purposes the Rooster Jacket comes in 16 oz bottles and sells for approx. $13 per bottle. The 16oz bottle is good for coating many thousand bullets. Last i checked SPL was sold in a 1 oz container for about that same price or maybe a little more.

Intel6 12-27-2011 02:55 PM

I used to use Rooster Jacket on my cast lead pistol bullets before gettting a lubesizer.

My understanding is that it is a water soluable wax so when the liquid dries you have a fine coat of wax. I used to dip my cast bullets in the liquid and then spread them out to dry on wax paper. I found that if I didn't stand them up to dry I woudl get a "dry puddle" of extra wax on the side of the bullet. When I stood them up to dry I would get extra wax around the base of the bullet which was fine for cast pistol bullets but would not be good for jacketed rifle bullets.

It is definatly strange stuff. I am interested to hear about it on jacketed bullets.

Neal in AZ

montdoug 12-27-2011 03:58 PM

I've used SPL and I think it would do the same thing you're talking about if bullets wet with it were put on a hard surface to dry. With it you take a glob about the size of a pea and put it in a plastic film canister with an equal amount of water. You then heat it for just a few seconds in the microwave. Ya put several hundred bullets in a glass bowl and pour the liquid SPL over em and shake the bowl to coat em. After shaking around a bit ya pour the bullets out on a paper towel and let em dry, it's just that simple.
Having used SPL which I can't honestly say I think did anything, which was after getting all caught up in the Moly craze when it came out and never seeing a clean white patch again :rolleyes: (anyone want to buy a full NECO kit? :D), I've come up with what works for me. I buy good barrels and break em in thoroughly according to a modified Lilga, Pac-Nor, Precision Shooting technique combo that I put together using Greg Tannel's input on Colloidal Graphite, and haven't shot anything but naked bullets for years and then cleaned the barrel well and coated it with the colloidal graphite. I don't own a barrel that I consider to have a fouling problem (they go bye-bye ;)).
That said if someone can "prove" to me something like that Rooster Jacket actually worked I'm all ears but I'm to old to buy anymore snake oil at this point, or at least I hope so :o.