Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   17 Remington Fireball vs 17 Hornady Hornet (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15932)

mackillan 11-18-2011 05:21 AM

17 Remington Fireball vs 17 Hornady Hornet

Would it be possible hear ideas regarding the advantages and disadvantages of the 17 Remington Fireball vs 17 Hornady Hornet? Will SAKO ever chamber one or the other?

william t. oviatt 11-18-2011 05:55 AM

Get both....

That way you have all the Advantages...&...none of the disadvantages!

Seriously though, I have both (Since I don't have a 17HH, but do have a 17AH......), my advice would be to do the 17HH and a 17 Remington. That way, you have both ends of the spectrum!

The 17AH is a round (so is the 19 Calhoon & probably others on the Hornet case, incl. the 17HH) that defies its own credentials! It performs far greater than one might expect, when compared to other small cals-AT least that is how it seems to me!
If you choose to do only one, certainly do the 17HH (or, 17AH)! Go ahead and amaze yourself right off the bat! If you visit James Calhoon's web site, the photo of Jim's buddy, Fred (recently passed) shows him with the exact expression one gets from the action of a Hornet Wildcat!!! Lots of good info on that site, too!

Bill

Old Hawkeye 11-18-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackillan (Post 119412)
Will SAKO ever chamber one or the other?

It's more a question of "Will Beretta import them?" Not sure about the 221 Fireball or the 17 version but know for a fact that Sako still chambers for the 22 Hornet & sells them in Europe. Beretta has determine that the market here doesn't support importing them. Maybe if there is big success with the new 17 Hornady Hornet the nit wits at Beretta will wake up from their ignorant stupor & we will be able to get Hornet based Sako actions. I can only dream about it now or place a $10,000 minimum order @ wait 6 to 12 months for delivery if you can find a dealer willing to do it.

LT17 11-18-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Not sure about the 221 Fireball or the 17 version but know for a fact that Sako still chambers for the 22 Hornet & sells them in Europe.
Do you have any evidence to back that statement up? Sako afaik haven't chambered any rifles in .17 calibre since the 75 and I don't believe that was available in Hornet either. The US market is far an away their biggest market so if they are likely to introduce any new chamberings it would more likely be in the US first. They haven't offered the 17 Fireball in the 85 so I seriously doubt they will entertain the 17 Hornet.

fosters 11-18-2011 08:31 PM

Bill is right!...Get Both!......I got a new Sako in 17 Remington in 1994...and I got 3 new Tikka heavy varmints in 17 Remington in 2003....the Tikkas shoot wonderfully....the Sako about 1 1/2" at 100 at best....

Old Hawkeye 11-19-2011 11:05 AM

[quote=LT17;119460]Do you have any evidence to back that statement up?

LT17:
Have a friend in the wholesale/retail gun business who was at the Riihamaki plant last fall. As a big buyer he got the royal tour including an Elk (moose) hunt. Told me he saw 100's of Sako Hornets stacked up waiting for shipment. The Hornet is still very popular in Europe. You will find that certain twist rate barrels from Sako are no longer available here as well, but are overseas.
Beretta has been a huge disappointment for Sako & Sako fans & my friend was told by the people in Finland that they very much regret selling to them. You will also notice that certain model rifles like the 85 Bavarian are not imported either. I think most Americans don't know how bad Beretta really is in understanding our market & especially how they market Sako.

Chuck Miller 11-19-2011 04:32 PM

Sako Hornet

What was the platform for the Hornet your buddy saw? I can definitely see Europe being a market for the Hornet but usually some of those will trickle over here, people do buy firearms over in Europe and bring them back to the states, especially military. I've never even seen a pic of one much less heard of someone that has one. Would be nice to score a Hornet on the 75/85 platform. Seems you would be able to go online at a retailer in Europe and see one if they are available. All of my searches for Sako European chamberings show they didn't chamber it after the L46, for the home market or export.

LT17 11-19-2011 05:44 PM

Sorry Hawkeye but I think this claim about Sako's manufacturing Hornet's is a figment of your friends imagination. Maybe they make a special limited run for a group of dealers, but I think it unlikely. I have never heard of them in England.

As far as the models Beretta import that is true to a degree. In Canada for example the importers Stoeger only import (afaik) the Bavarian in 7mm Rem mag, 30-06, 300wsm and 300 win mag. The reason for this is these are the calibres that will sell.

However if a person wanted a particular Sako I am sure these people could assist http://www.gun.co.uk/ ultimately though if the Hornet was available I would have thought Sako might advertise it on their website and they don't. So until I see concrete proof I remain deeply sceptical.

kenbro 11-19-2011 07:09 PM

answer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackillan (Post 119412)
Would it be possible hear ideas regarding the advantages and disadvantages of the 17 Remington Fireball vs 17 Hornady Hornet? Will SAKO ever chamber one or the other?

Anybody out there able to answer the original question? Please. :rolleyes:
Ken.

BulletBob3701 11-19-2011 09:07 PM

One of the differences between the two cartridges is going to be ease in loading. The Hornet neck is very thin and with tiny 17 caliber bullets it is difficult to set them in the neck straight before seating the bullets - unless you have a straight line seater. Even then you are going to buckle some necks on the 17 hornet. You won't have this problem on the FireBall to as great an extent.

The other problem will be rim thickness for primary headspacing. Domestic Hornet brass does not hold to tight tolerences in Hornet brass. The FireBall being rimless will fire form to the chamber and with properly set up dies not have this problem. Of course the Hornet will, or should headspace on the shoulder after fireforming too, but remember the brass is thin. It is my opinion that the FireBall will prove to be easier to live with. Let the flaming begin!

Bob