Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dakota/Lapua tact20 brass??? (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1186)

Nelson 01-31-2007 02:31 PM

Dakota/Lapua tact20 brass???

Does anyone have experience with the Dakota/Lapua tact20 brass??? I am thinking since i am starting from scratch I may be better off just buying this brass and not get the form dies???? No prairie dogs here in KY so will never have fast shooting and need lots of cheap brass, will be shooting mostly paper, groundhogs and crows. Heck 100 pieces of loaded ammo would probaly last me 6 months once load is developed. So what is everyones opinion on the brass, or would I be better off buying the form die? Nelson

Daryl 01-31-2007 02:53 PM

Nelson - where do you hail from? US or Canada?
; Pat Cameron is from the Kitchener area, Ontario, just a stone's throw East of my old groundhog stomping grounds. I used a 6.5Remmag for that stomping.
: The TAC .20 will be perfect and makes one try to set up long shots just for the fun of it. 1/4 mile shots makes a good range for chucks.

sicero 01-31-2007 02:54 PM

Nelson, I had a tac 20 a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, the form die was kind of pricey. The brass you buy should be annealed, necked down and ready to go. I would buy the formed brass. You may find your loading die will prep the regular brass anyway. Kenny

Daryl 01-31-2007 02:59 PM

My buddy Brad makes his TAC.20's from any .223 brass in one pass in his TAC .20 FL die. There is no need for form dies.

Nelson 01-31-2007 03:05 PM

Eastern part of U.S.

[quote=Daryl;7579]Nelson - where do you hail from? US or Canada?
QUOTE]

Daryl,
I live in eastern part of the U.S., We do not have large numbers of groundhogs, but that just makes every one i take that much better (quality of the hunt not quanity) not that i wouldn't like to get in a prairie dog town and put some to sleep. Actual hunting here for most varmints will get ya about 1-10 shots in a day of hunting depending what you are after. Nelson

GlennFromVA 01-31-2007 03:16 PM

I have some of the Lapua (Dakota) Tac20 brass...

Got 100 rounds from Graf's and Sons. Very nice stuff, and I think it was $39 per 100.

Glenn

Nelson 01-31-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennFromVA (Post 7585)
Got 100 rounds from Graf's and Sons. Very nice stuff, and I think it was $39 per 100.

Glenn

For that price if it is quality stuff it would take me 3 years just to save the cost of the form die (using cheap brass) with the amount of shooting I do, Thanks for the heads up going to check on it now. Nelson

Alex 01-31-2007 07:51 PM

Don[t be a cheapskate,...

... buy 200 cases of the Dakota/20Tac. Gaff's isn't the only place that has it, you should look at LS&B as well as Midsouth.

It really looks good. The best brass "parent" is the IMI, which is no longer available, but I have used Winchester 223 brass successfully, too.

Get the Redding Type S die, but make sure that it has a 0.204 or very close expander button, as some of the first that came out were undersized. Redding dies often profit by polishing them with Flitz before using them, but be careful about polishing the expander ball (now how do I know that :o ).

You might also want to order a neck die. The Hornady seater die with the micrometer add-on is a cheap alternative to some of the more expensive ones, but the Wilson neck and seater dies (make sure you order the micrometer top for the Wilson, too).

Alex

20vt 01-31-2007 11:46 PM

lapua

I really like this brass,and use it in my 20 tac. The money you safe on form dies you can buy extra bullets .Good luck

yote10 02-06-2007 04:50 PM

Lapua brass

I bought some lapua 223 brass for my 20 tac. ran throufh the form die and redding match type S bushing die they will chamber but cannot close the bolt. The winchester and remington brass doing the same process I have no problems. My question is do I have to turn the outside necks or do I need a FL size die to bump the shoulder back a little?