Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rem XR-100 .204r (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275)

20vt 02-10-2007 03:52 AM

Rem XR-100 .204r

hi my friend just bought one of these rifle. I but a sinclair chamber guage in the chamber and it read 1.875. My friend said he could;nt get the bullet to touch the rifling.Any one shoting one of these .204r I be interested in what kind of groups your getting.

Silverfox 02-10-2007 05:08 AM

I don't have a Remington XR-100, I have a Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger. I'm not at all surprised to see the reading you got with your chamber length gauge. My Savage had a chamber length of 1.877" when I had about 75 to 100 rounds down the tube. My groups have been just fine. I have 1,781 rounds down the tube and accuracy doesn't seem to be falling off yet.

I was kind of worried that the huge "jump" the bullet had to make to get to the lands would be detrimental to accuracy, but that sure hasn't seemed to be the case with my rifle. I seat my bullets for the best accuracy I can get and still have them fit in the magazine. I am getting well under 1/2" groups with the 35 gr. FB HP Bergers, 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKings and right at about 1/2" groups with the 40 gr. Nosler BTs. I'm a happy camper :D :D :D

20vt 02-10-2007 10:43 AM

Thanks Silverfox

Thanks Silverfox sounds like your gun groups great, hope my friend does also i;ll keep you posted after shots it in the next week or two.Later 20 vt

georgetwalkerjr 02-10-2007 12:13 PM

Oal

Interesting subject: I'm currently seating my 35gr Bergers for an OAL of the cartridge of 2.34 for my Ruger M77 Target and Rem 700 VLSF.

My Hornady reloading book reflects an OAL of 2.245. Measuring the chamber with a Stony Point tool, there's no way I can seat the bullet to come close to the lands. A Hornady factory 45gr round measures 2.241.

I'm curious about other folks' cartridge length.

Thanks. George

T.Zimm 02-11-2007 12:29 AM

Not knowing where to start.....

I just used a Factory Remington 32gr. accutip for a "dummy" round. I just ran my seater down onto it and loaded my 32gr. V-max the same depth. So far it has worked really well. Matched or slightly bettered the great factory group I first got. I tried seating the bullet in towards the lands yesterday in .05 increments, but it didnt like it. Amazingly the Federal premier with the 39gr. Blitzking shot just as well as the 32gr. Accutip. I have heard quite a few people that couldnt get the heavier bullets to shoot in their .204. I am pleased with my new SPS Varminter. Smoothest factory barrel I have ever pushed a patch through... With my Sinclair measurement; there was absolutely no way to reach the lands with the 32gr. bullet. Running 27.3gr. Benchmark and a Rem 7 1/2 primer...

Chuck Miller 02-11-2007 11:01 PM

I've got a XR100 in 204

I've only shot mine 1 time as I just got it, but with 40 rounds down the tube it really prefers the 39gr BK. Frankly I was surprised as it has a 1-12 barrel and I really thought it would shoot the 32 and 33gr Vmaxs better. As with most of the new Rems I've shot it takes about 100 rounds down range before things settle themselves out. Next I'll try the 35 and 40 gr bergers. I had no problem setting these on these lands, again surprised as the other factory 204's I've owned(Savage, CZ) I couldn't reach the lands so I expected this one to be the same. Mine has a considerably shorter chamber than the others.