Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   221 Fireball twist rate (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23837)

M595NUT 09-30-2013 12:29 AM

221 Fireball twist rate

If you were going to build a 221 Fireball to shoot only 40 grain bullets, would you order a 1 in 14 twist barrel, which a lot of factory guns are, or a 1 in 12 twist? Benefits of one vs. the other in this caliber?

MrMajestic 09-30-2013 12:41 AM

The general opinion is that you should choose the slowest twist to stabilize the longest bullet you will use. Any defects in a particular bullet that will cause rotational issues will be magnified by a faster twist. That said Varminter's claim better terminal ballistics with increased rotational speed.

I guess I'm no help at all! :o

Rusty W 09-30-2013 01:10 AM

I have a stainless #3 contour 1-14 Douglas barrel on a Savage action and an ER Shaw 1-12 on a Savage action. I shoot the 40gr z-max with 15gr of Lil Gun and a Rem 7-1/2 primer. I can't tell a difference in accuracy between the two, mostly because of the guy behind the trigger. 200yds is the longest range I have to shoot & it's almost too easy to hit a 20oz pop bottle....almost.

RicN 09-30-2013 01:48 AM

My FB is the varmint HB built by Cooper. Although I haven't checked the twist, think I read Coopers were all 12T but could be wrong. Anyway, my load is 19.1 of R7 under the Nosler BT 40 grain bullet and Federal Br primers with Accuracy way beyond what I expected. When new, and after break-in of 25 rounds, the gun fired a five shot group under .500 @ 200yds, .357 as I remember. Jim Barker from this site had this same gun with his shooting as well I think but used 18.9 grains. These loads are not top velocity for the FB but accuracy has always come first for me....To date, this gun has only 350 or so rds fired and still shooting bug hole groups. Couple guys here locally have FB guns made on CZ 527's, both are scary accurate and with Lil Gun powder...The FB case is about perfect with little issues- FB, M4, 20VT - All terrific!

Hotshot 09-30-2013 01:53 AM

My buddy in North Dakota took me out to his private range on his farm.
He set out 10 pop bottles full of water. I grabbed his AR-15 which I had built for him and mowed them down bottle after bottle. I think I said something about not too big of a challenge. His response was that I did it wrong. You are supposed to shoot off the bottle cap first, then shoot the bottle up very high so it just tips over, then shoot the bottom of the bottle but you have to hit it low to blow it up because more than half the water is gone. I said something clever like "BS". He then showed me and showed me over and over and over again exactly how to do that. North Dakota farm boy could sure shoot. He did that with a custom 221FB 1:16 twist and 40gr SBK's.

andy221 09-30-2013 03:37 AM

I love the 221 fireball as you can guess by my user name. I have two one is a lvsf the other is a 40x with a hart barrel. The 40x is a 14 twist and I can't remember what the lvsf is but, I would guess its a 14 twist. I wish I had one with a 12 twist so I could try the 53 vmaxes.

I know the general opinion is use the slowest twist possible but I don't think you will have any issues with going to a faster twist rate especially going from a 14 twist to a 12 twist. You should see the 222 I just put together with an 8 twist shoot the 40 nos bt!! The only issue I see is getting a 14 twist is limiting yourself on bullets for that day when you decide you want to try something different.

william t. oviatt 09-30-2013 02:32 PM

The 221 Fireball is one of my favorites! The bullet options are fantastic!
Twist rate is one of those personal choices that can be very different. Most folks on Saubier have read my post on testing faster twist for cartridge/caliber.
I now use only 1/9 twist for all cartridges in gun projects, and have done even faster twists if available. The last rifle in a 22 TCM (221FB Short) Dasherr did for me has a 1/7 Lilja barrel and I could not be happier with its performance.
Bill

bowfisher 10-11-2015 09:10 PM

Bringing this post back from the past...I'm interested in a 221 FB AI version of some sorts to fit the Lapua brass. Plan on shooting 40gr bullets, but want the most splat factor I can get. Anyone built a fast twist ( 1-10 or so) 221FB and if so how did it perform?

I have several exotics, some that require quite a bit of brass prep. I'm thinking a load and shoot 221FB would work well for closer range PD's...

dungheap 10-12-2015 12:39 AM

Mine is a 12 twist Shilen, and it just loves light (35 -40gr) bullets, also shines with 50grainers.

bowfisher 10-13-2015 03:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, have you ever shot it at PD's next to a 14 twist? Seen any difference in splat factor with the 40's?