Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RWS 22 magnum ammo (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17039)

fat cat 02-05-2012 03:09 AM

RWS 22 magnum ammo

The new RWS 22 magnum ammo has a muzzle velocity of 1,952fps. at 50 yds. its 1,624fps. at 100yds. its 1,371fps. Muzzle energy is 339ft.lbs. So looks like they lowerd the velocity once again.:mad: Still can't get it in the :mad:US but Ive got a sales rep looking into it.

GLWenzl 02-06-2012 01:26 AM

IDs this the same type of ammo you sent me?

fat cat 02-06-2012 10:30 AM

Rws

Yes, but the stuff I sent you is the old old RWS from the 80s and it chronos 2,100+ out of my 24"VMBZ factory spec is 2,040fps.! Its very very hot stuff! And don't worrie its safe.

dlong 02-07-2012 08:35 PM

I had some RWS 22 mag ammo. I remember is was in a green and silver box. It was the most accurate 22 mag ammo I ever had. Last time I saw if for sale it was around $30.00 a box. that was a while ago.

fat cat 02-07-2012 10:55 PM

22 mag

dlong, that would be the right stuff, thats the best of the 22 magnum ammo from RWS. I did see some RWS 22 magnum from the early 60s the other day it was on some auction sight.

Eric Mayer 02-08-2012 12:19 AM

When I bought my Browning A-Bolt 22 Mag, my buddy at the gun shop tossed in a box of the RWS ammo. That was some good ammo!! I run across a left-over round or two every once in a while when looking for change or spare keys. I wish they made it in the original specs still!

Eric :cool:

fat cat 02-08-2012 01:19 AM

Rws

I still see it at gun shows from time to time. I bet if you go to the big shows you can find it. If it comes back out I'll be tring the new stuff.

rigger 02-08-2012 07:23 AM

I used it in my Ruger because it was the ammo most suited in terms of accuracy. It just so happened to have a high MV which gave a good short range fox round. However, at not much over 100 yards (my fox limit) because of the poor BC, the Remington 33 BT took over in terms of energy. Unfortunately, it (RWS) also happened to be the most expensive such that reloading the Hornet was more financially viable.
The critical bit was the fact that the older rounds discussed above had a nasty habit of splitting around the rim and spitting hot powder in one's face - fortunately I wear glasses. I bought these over the shop counter and the importer replaced them without a murmer - I've always figured that this was known about and is the reason why the latest loads are slower as I had no further problems and the foxes still fell down.

MarinePMI 02-08-2012 10:54 AM

I think Rigger hit the nail on the head.

While it may have been accurate, I'd wager that the reason you don't see the same load now, was in fact that it wasn't reasonably safe (from a manufacturing perspective) to continue making, especially if was also expensively marketed/priced.

Again, not saying the ammo was badly made, just saying there is probably a logical reason why they lowered the velocity.

I know of a run of CMP ammo (from few years back) that was extremely accurate, consistent and was erroneously loaded hotter than expected. No problems were reported/encountered, but that load has never gone back into production (despite many, many requests) for this reason. It was safe, but it was too close to the line when factoring in machine wear, human error and just plain old Mr. Murphy popping his head around the corner.

JMTCW...

fat cat 02-08-2012 10:57 AM

Rws

I love the 33gr. Rems! I got a bunch of the old green tip big R case head stamp the chrono at 2,100fps out of my old Ruger and they hit hard. The new gold tips are a different bullet I guess its Remingtons design they now call it Accu tip V. Havent shot very many of the new Rems still have 1/2 case of the old green tips and I use them for hunting only. For fur hunting I have not seen anything that works as good as the old "Green Tips".