Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   17 Reminigton improved (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2622)

Mudgegonga 08-15-2007 10:46 PM

17 Reminigton improved

Does anyone know anything about improved versions of the 17 Remington? I am aware of the 17 Tactical based on the 223. Why don't we hear about 30 degree plus shoulders being put on the 17 Remington case?

I am thinking about its application with the newer heavier high BC bullets that are available.

GLWenzl 08-15-2007 11:35 PM

When I was looking at building a 17 Rem Imp it was said that the quality of brass was not as good as what is available in 223....

That said I really want to do one some day because I had good luck with Big Game powder and the 30 gr bullets but the 17 Rem case was a tad small making me think that an imp version would be just the ticket...

Weaver Riffle got a reamer in about a year or so ago and I do believe that Kevin built one for someone maybe here on Saubier???

Sounds like a great project and please keep us inform on you progress if you decide to do it!!!

Qaz 08-16-2007 04:21 PM

If a 17 Remington is considered over bore; how much are you really gaining with an improved version?

Qaz

reed1911 08-16-2007 07:07 PM

He's looking at increasing the case capacity for the longer heavier bullets, and for those the .17 Rem is not overbore at all.

You may look at going to the .17-222 mag (I forgot the reamer name) or something on the PPC case. I know there are a bunch here that have experience with this use.

Chucker 08-16-2007 08:36 PM

Ballistic Coefficients

If you are going to base a 17 cal choice due to an improvement in Ballistic Coefficients I think you need to look at BC's and what they can do for you.

If you were thinking of the Berger 37 gr. bullet, I would not recommend it.
The rotation you need and the velocity you will get with the larger 17 cal. case will cause them to turn to smoke just past the muzzle.

17 cal stuff is not about Ballistic Coefficients. It is about speed and speed only. Go ahead and build a 17 Rem. Improved but gear it for speed not BC improvements. It would be cool to see what it would do with a 20 gr. VMAX and some H322.

Mudgegonga 08-16-2007 10:58 PM

17 Improved

A 32 gn Vmax .20 bullet has a BC of .210. A Woodchuck Den 30 gn .17 bullet has a reported BC around .270.

A .204 ruger case is bigger than a 17 remington case and hence can drive the 32 gn bullet considerably faster. There are .17-223 cases with 30 degree shoulders but I have note seen a 17 remington case changed to 30 degree with the case neck length reduced.

The .204 ruger case is a bit long in old .223 actions where you still want to use a magazine and seat the bullets where you want them.

The 17 remington case is longer than the .223 but shorter than .204 ruger and .222 magnum.

A ppc means changing bolt face, extractor and feed rails.

Bryce 08-17-2007 01:09 AM

I think Gary struck on the biggest reason why the 17 Rem Imp is not well known, the only sensible source of parent brass is the Remington stuff and it ain't very good. No point going to the bother of a custom barrel and reamer and dies and fireforming brass to still be stuck with the crappy brass.

A 17-223 would give the same sort of capacity as a 17 Rem Imp with a slightly shorter overall case length and a far better selection of brass of much higher quality. A simple neck down and neck turn and you are good to go.

For the heavier 17 cal bullets or wherever a bigger capacity 17 is wanted the 17-223 seemed to me to be the most logical choice unless you want that last extra bit of capacity by going to a 17 Predator or 17 Tac.

Bryce

Qaz 08-20-2007 11:21 AM

Reed1911- So let me understand this, the ratio of neck to case size does not determine if it is over bore? The length of the bullet is also considered? What is the definition of over bore and is there an equation to determine it?

Qaz

StevenD 08-21-2007 11:57 PM

I don't think there is an equation per se, though Ackley's book may have something in there somewhere.

In my opinion, if you can't fill the case with powder as a standard round, then providing more volume is near the point of diminishing returns at the outset. I like improved cartridges, but I am not that anxious to try the 17 Rem Improved for that simple reason.

Another issue may be the feeding of the long, skinny case with the sharper shoulder.

GLWenzl 08-22-2007 12:18 AM

I heard once that when the powder weight equals or is greater than the bullet weight then its overbore????

I think Overbore is what ever ya make it to be....

Personally I don't consider the 17 Rem OB nor would I with the 17 Rem Imp but then 25 gr bullets are the lightest I shoot in it and always thought the 30 Golds would be just right....

FWIW my Weaver 17-222 shoots the 25 V-max at 4100 fps with 22.5 grs of powder as a top end PD load pretty accurately so for me the larger case seems to be made for the 30s and the slow burning powder I wish to shoot in it needs a tad more space (I think)