Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Alliant "varmint" powder (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8779)

long shot 12-26-2009 06:00 PM

Alliant "varmint" powder

Has anyone gotten there hands on any yet and if so---how are the results? Last I checked was at Scheels in St. Cloud late in November and nothing on the shelves yet. I just sent for alliants new powder data looking for some results. Advertising to duplicate factory loads otherwise unobtainable---Got a feeling they are talking the 204R Hornady loads. I'm ashamed to print this in public however the best group printed from my(stock) 700 vss in 204 came out of a box of Hornady factory ammo .305. I've used their brass, same bullets and 4 types of powder and my best combo came out at .430. My first humbling experience of not being able to trump a factory load:confused: in either velocity or accuracy. Really hoping this powder will vindicate me of this experience!!!

Aaron

Varminteer 06-22-2010 12:34 AM

Here comes a new flavor of the month powder....he he

Follow up: See its listed at Midway but not in stock. Wonder what the hold up is? Have not called Alliant yet...

Easy_E 06-22-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by long shot (Post 59732)
I'm ashamed to print this in public however the best group printed from my(stock) 700 vss in 204 came out of a box of Hornady factory ammo .305. I've used their brass, same bullets and 4 types of powder and my best combo came out at .430. My first humbling experience of not being able to trump a factory load:confused: in either velocity or accuracy. Really hoping this powder will vindicate me of this experience!!!

Aaron

Your not the only one I have a SPS that I've tried everything in and still get a inch or bigger groups. If JB bore paste doesn't work then a rebarreling is next.
I was going to do a 20 practical but a shooting friend offered a .19 cal blank he's not using .

17 Hunter 06-22-2010 02:01 AM

i don't know about the varmint but i'd like to find some 2000MR to try in my 22-250

ab_bentley 06-22-2010 02:05 AM

Hopefully this is an inert powder like the 8208XBR. Adam

LT17 06-22-2010 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_bentley (Post 75475)
Hopefully this is an inert powder like the 8208XBR. Adam

Inert? I hope not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert I take it you meant extreme like Varget etc. with reduced temperature sensitivity.

ab_bentley 06-22-2010 02:27 AM

Temp non-sensitive, corrected. Adam

montdoug 06-22-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by long shot (Post 59732)
Has anyone gotten there hands on any yet and if so---how are the results? Last I checked was at Scheels in St. Cloud late in November and nothing on the shelves yet. I just sent for alliants new powder data looking for some results. Advertising to duplicate factory loads otherwise unobtainable---Got a feeling they are talking the 204R Hornady loads. I'm ashamed to print this in public however the best group printed from my(stock) 700 vss in 204 came out of a box of Hornady factory ammo .305. I've used their brass, same bullets and 4 types of powder and my best combo came out at .430. My first humbling experience of not being able to trump a factory load:confused: in either velocity or accuracy. Really hoping this powder will vindicate me of this experience!!!

Aaron

Real quick and certainly not hi-jacking the thread but 10X and 39 grain Blitzkings (sorry Hornady) exceeds the velocity of the 40 grain load as well as greatly improves the accuracy in my rifle. The 32 grain V-Max's don't get Hornadys claimed 4,200+ but they do clock 4,100+ and are more accurate. The 39's are all I load in it cause they are definitely the all around winning load.

As to the new powder, what new powder? There are no new powders in my life. If what I have stocked up now don't get er done I'm in trouble cause I am no longer a consumer :).