Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   17 Tac (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8797)

Song Dog 12-28-2009 10:33 PM

17 Tac

Well, I have been visiting this site for a good while and have took the plunge on a 17 Tac. At 1st I was gong to do a 20 Tac but since I had a 204 I held off. Now that I have made up my mind on a 17 Tac, I have decided when extra funds appear:)I will do a 20 Tac.
There is alot of good info here and may have some questions along the way.
I am hoping that my factory barrel shoots good (?) so I can run with it. I am basing it off of a SPS Varmint 17 FB. I will plan on a different stock. I may go with H-S stock that is like on my 22-250 VS but tan.
I am excited

In Christ,

Song Dog

Furhunter 12-29-2009 12:31 AM

Song Dog,

In the last 2 days I have been out shooting my new 17Tac, like yours its a fireball conversion except on a CDL. It has produced a couple nice groups and impressive velocities with the little testing I have done so far. Now all I need to do is find a stupid coyote thats willing to jump in front of a speeding bullet so I can see how it kills!

Its been a blast so far, I am sure you will like it.

Song Dog 12-29-2009 01:57 AM

I can't wait for the coyote report.

One of the deciding points on going with the 17 Tac (which is rather small) is I have little less than 24 lbs of Varget and I asked Todd K, how well does it work with Varget. He told me it was one of the better powders, then I jumped in with both feet. I use Varget in everything else and don't want to buy powder. But, truth be known, if I had to I would.
What bullets are you using? I am planning on the 30 Golds. Dave A has really helped me out by answering ALOT of pms even though his is a Predator. He uses those and if they are good enough for him, thats what I'll use:)

In Christ,

Song Dog

jim barker 12-29-2009 02:31 AM

Before you go to far make up a dummy round and see if it will fit into the SPS 17 FB mag. If I remember correctly I tried to place a 222 round in my SPS 17 FB mag and it didn't work.

ab_bentley 12-29-2009 03:19 AM

It won't work, the newer SPS's are blocked for the 221. Another thing when converting the 17FB it the ejecting of the brass. The 17FB bolt was made with a different ejection point for the smaller case.

Song Dog 12-29-2009 03:35 AM

Ab, So you are saying that the SPS Varmint 17 FB mag will not work for the 17 TAC?

In Christ,

Song Dog

ab_bentley 12-29-2009 03:42 AM

Yep, you will have to take the block out and modify the mag or find a 223 replacement mag for the 700.

jim barker 12-29-2009 04:15 AM

before you give up the idea, run what you want to do past a good smith and he'll be able to tell the pit falls of using the SPS action. it may be as simple as replacing the bottom metal.

Song Dog 12-29-2009 04:32 AM

Thanks guys for the input.
Jim, I will call him tomorrow to find out.
I got the gun waiting for me at our lil retail gun shop, close by. I sure hope he doesn't have to send it back.
If it has to due with bottom metal, it shouldn't be all that bad (I hope). I guess I will find out and hope its good news.
Worst case, idea doesn't work and goto plan B.

In Christ,

Song Dog

Mark D 12-29-2009 04:40 AM

17tac

I am converting my 17FB SPS to 17-204. I think all I will need is a 223 follwer and remove the block at the back of the mag box . It should be about the same for the 17tac . I will check it out and let you know . Midway should have everything you need or Brownells should have it also . Thanks! Mark