Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ruger VT? (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29313)

Danny 09-01-2015 05:27 AM

Ruger VT?

Is anyone here a fan of the Ruger 77 MKII VT? I bought a used one that was nearly new a couple of years ago, even though it is a RH Rifle and I shoot lefty. Mine is in .223. I wish it was in .17 Remington, though.

Danny

M595NUT 09-01-2015 11:09 AM

ruger

I have one of each in the following calibers: 204, 22-250, 220 Swift, and 25-06. The 204 is the best shooting of the four and the barrel cleans with the most ease of any factory barrel I have. The 22-250 was my first varmint gun purchase 20 years ago and shoots both 50 and 55 V-max extremely well. The 25-06 with Varget and 75 v-Max is sure a spectacle in a prairie dog town. :)
I've adjusted the pull weight on these two stage triggers, and they make for a very nice factory trigger if you like two stage, breaking right around two pounds. Obviously the lock time on these being a Mauser is rather lengthy compared to the Remington's and Sako/Tikkas.
I enjoy all four of these rifles and all will shoot no worse than 3/4" inch groups with developed hand loads. The 204 shoots both the 32 and 40 V-max equally well. The guns are heavy and I think the stocks ride bags pretty well also. Excellent for varminting. Unfortunately, some have been soured on Rugers over the years turning out some guns with questionable accuracy and as a result, you don't see or hear people talk about these much. Curious to see how your 223 shoots!

260Ackley 09-01-2015 01:21 PM

I have one in 22-250. First test load I shot with 55 gr bullets was .25 group. Barrel was barely broke in at the time. Gun shoots better then me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

L1986 09-01-2015 02:20 PM

I have one in 308 and love it. It is very accuate and like posted above it does clean easily. I was not a fan of the two stage trigger so I put in the rifle basix one and really like it. 1lb clean and crisp! In my mind these are great factory rifles. Wish i had a couple more!

Danny 09-02-2015 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260Ackley (Post 228689)
I have one in 22-250. First test load I shot with 55 gr bullets was .25 group. Barrel was barely broke in at the time. Gun shoots better then me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

My .223 was behaving pretty similar, right out of the gate, but maybe not quite as small of groups, but very close. My higher charge weights did not respond quite the same, but being that I was using surplus powder, the velocity could have been higher than expected. I won't know more till I get a chance to shoot it more, and over my chronograph.

Danny

Danny 09-02-2015 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M595NUT (Post 228686)
I have one of each in the following calibers: 204, 22-250, 220 Swift, and 25-06. The 204 is the best shooting of the four and the barrel cleans with the most ease of any factory barrel I have. The 22-250 was my first varmint gun purchase 20 years ago and shoots both 50 and 55 V-max extremely well. The 25-06 with Varget and 75 v-Max is sure a spectacle in a prairie dog town. :)
I've adjusted the pull weight on these two stage triggers, and they make for a very nice factory trigger if you like two stage, breaking right around two pounds. Obviously the lock time on these being a Mauser is rather lengthy compared to the Remington's and Sako/Tikkas.
I enjoy all four of these rifles and all will shoot no worse than 3/4" inch groups with developed hand loads. The 204 shoots both the 32 and 40 V-max equally well. The guns are heavy and I think the stocks ride bags pretty well also. Excellent for varminting. Unfortunately, some have been soured on Rugers over the years turning out some guns with questionable accuracy and as a result, you don't see or hear people talk about these much. Curious to see how your 223 shoots!

I'm fine with single stage triggers, but I really love two stage triggers. I have a lot of time on two stage triggers on my match ARs, M14 clones and M1s. My rifle shot kind of similarly right out of the gate, as the poster below mentioned. I will have to find some group info. in a while, when I get access to my records. I would really like to have another one, but in .204, or a Swift. Nothing wrong with a .22-250 aside from the fact that I have more of those. Right now a .25-06 is bigger than I want to get into. I would like trying one later. I have been first keeping my eye out for a used LH Cooper Varminter or Montana Varminter in .17 Remington or .223.

Danny

17VLD 09-02-2015 02:26 AM

I love mine.....

Mine is a .243 and it has a fast barrel and is very accurate.Back in the day at the Varmint Hunters jamboree it won the Bore Tech challenge at 660 yards,one shot at a tiny yellow balloon.
Matt

MIBULLETS 09-02-2015 02:29 AM

I have an older model that has the blued action and stainless barrel in 243 Win. They came with a single stage trigger then. That thing shot great for years until I wore out the first few inches of the throat out. It now wears a McGowen barrel in 6BR and I use it for informal F-Class at 600yds. I wouldn't hesitate to get another if I was in the market.

Danny 09-02-2015 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIBULLETS (Post 228718)
I have an older model that has the blued action and stainless barrel in 243 Win. They came with a single stage trigger then. That thing shot great for years until I wore out the first few inches of the throat out. It now wears a McGowen barrel in 6BR and I use it for informal F-Class at 600yds. I wouldn't hesitate to get another if I was in the market.

I have seen some of those early ones, but not often. Having one might be a curiosity, but with that said, would the early ones be ones to look for, or to stay away from? I am thinking mostly about the early trigger, but I guess there could be other things.

Danny

RareBear 09-02-2015 04:32 AM

First centerfire rifle I purchased was 22-250 Ruger 77 MKII VT. It is also the most accurate rifle I own. I purchased a second one chambered in 223 but never fired it, sent off to Jeff Lawrence to spin on one of his 14s.

14 LRB Ruger 77 MKII VT
http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/...&pictureid=457
http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/...&pictureid=449

The triggers on these were the most surprising item for me. 2-stage triggers seem to be pretty decent with a light take-up spring followed by a seriously nice crisp 2 pound pull right out of the box.

Have to be careful about keeping the bolt lugs in grease, stainless seems to gall a bit easier.