View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 05:06 AM

Default Hey Shawn nice to see again

I did the 6.5 version to make a lightweight deer rifle in the CZ 527.

The original stock was as handsome as a stump so I decided to give it the biggest loser treatment. First step to cut weight was hollowing the butt of the stock, then all checkering was removed and I slimmed the wrist area. I also took an additional ¼” of wood all the way around starting at the wrist all the way to the forend. This gave it the trim Mannlicher-Schönauer appearance which I finished off with a small schnabel forend.

I bobbed the magazine to 3 rounds and I trimmed the trigger guard in the mill, like Roy B does, so all fits flush to the bottom of the stock. The CZ scope ring got skeletonized on the inside.

I chambered a 1 in 9" medium sporter weight barrel and cut it to 21”, mounted a 2x-7x Leopold and the entire outfit comes in right at 6 ¼ lbs with sling and shells.

For my deer hunting the Grendel likes the Nosler 120gr BT’s running around 2700 fps. It seems to be more that enough for these big corn fed whitetails here in Nebraska.

I took a quite shine to this handy little package; so much so that I made a 20PPC barrel to switch out for coyote calling in the winter months.

Shawn a 25 Grendel maybe with a 1 in 9" or 10" should spin the 100's ( not sure you can move the 120's fast enough with that small of a boiler room) and come close to the ole 250 savage, which should be just the ticket you’re after.

Enjoy
Stephen

Last edited by Stephen Grant; 03-18-2008 at 05:13 AM.