View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdan View Post
anyone ever try this? If so what did you come up with?
I use 55 grain Bergers in my 20 Extreme. 8 twist, 24" Bob Jury heavy Varmiint barrel with no issues and great accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
No, not me. I'm not sure why you'd want to slow down such a nice zippy round down to the 2,500 fps range with such a heavy bullet in the small capacity case.

And a faster twist than 1/12 would be required too. I just can't see any advantage or use for such an arrangement. Am I missing something?
The 20 Extreme is a 222 Remington necked down and shortened to 1.575", don't recall the case water capacity. I get 3100 ish fps using 8208 XBR. Not too slow for my liking. I built this specifically to shoot the 55's for coyotes. If the OP could figure out how to get those 50's up here I give 'em a go. If you are shooting gophers you are right - 50 is a bit much but on coyotes they would work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Sherm View Post
In my opinion a 7.5 or 7 will tear up bullets, maybe not in something slow like a 20VT.
Even 8 twist will 55's after some throat wear in fast 20's
Can't speak to the 7 or 7.5 tearing up bullets but have no issues with an 8 twist on the heavies. The lightest bullets I can shoot in this set up though are 40 grain which I've mostly switched over to after Berger discontinued the 55's. Still have a small stash of 55's but found a good load with the 40's and they work on coyotes so not too upset anymore. As it turns out the 40 are cheaper by a fair bit than the 55 so that worked out.