Thread: hornet brass
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Supporting Member

I would imagine that the Hornady is contracted with someone for that brass, I'm not sure who makes it for em but I'd bet someone does with their headstamp.
Brass is another of those things that sometimes the rifle actually makes the choice for ya.
When I first started going "small" my first acquisition was a 1730 Anschutz Meister Grade Hornet. At that time Lil'Gun had just come out and was all the rage. I bought 100 each of what they had in the store for brass which was Remington and Winchester. I weight segregated both into heavier and lighter in MTM 50 boxes and started load development. That Anschutz quickly showed a serious affinity to the Winchester brass. It's an amazingly accurate rifle anyway but there is a real and distinct accuracy advantage with the WW cases with several differently worked up loads.
Rem does have a bit more capacity but who cares? That Hornet with Lil'Gun and and 40 V-Max's in WW cases with WSR primers gets phenomenal accuracy and velocities in the 3,000ish FPS range which is 200FPS faster than the Hornet was designed for anyway. Cases last near forever (I neck size only after first firing) and it just tickles me pink!
I've never tried to stretch the Hornet beyond what I consider reasonable bounds any way. It is what it is, a great old round. Besides, that's why I have a K-Hornet, a .221, a .223 and .22-250's. It's like a ladder with all the rungs intact.
I'd use what ever brass that works best for ya.
P.S.
I picked up an Anschutz Exemplar handgun in Hornet and it felt the same way about the Winchester over the Remington. Maybe something to do with their chambers .