View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I mentioned this up thread and happened notice it in a drawer yesterday, so I thought I would post a picture for you who don't know what it is.

The DeHass/Epps universal loading die. Consist of Insert dies body, cap, spacer inserts and forming inserts. These are all home made. The body and cap made from a piece scrap. The insert made from chunks of cut off or take of old gun barrels..

Left to right. .375 H&H that has been run through the insert for forming .416 neck. Die body. (top to bottom) Cap for holding inserts in die body, .416 neck inserts, 2 spacers. Formed and trimmed .416 case in shell holder, Cap with seating stem from 416 Remington Magnum loading dies. Loaded cartridge.

I have made a number of different inserts. The first set I made was to form 219 Donaldson Wasp brass from 30-30 brass. I used a piece of cut off barrel from a .223 bbl to make the inserts. I ran the chamber reamer enough to form a full shoulder. I made 4 of the these. Then ran in fractional reamer to make steps. The largest is the same diameter as the outside neck of a resized 30-30 case but with the DW Shoulder angle. This was used to push the shoulder back to the correct length. (The real Donaldson/Red Elliot length, not the scribner error length found CCI-Sierra-Hornady manuals and perpetuated by E.A Brown)

Next step down was .30 cal OD, then 7mm and 6mm. The case at this point would be trimmed to length and inside neck reamed. This was followed by full length resizing in in a correct 219 DW sizing. I made several thousand of these over a 4 month period-some thing I will never do again.

I have also used this universal die set to make 50/90 Sharps brass into WR 1-1/2" carbine and WR Musket No. 2 brass.

Ellwood Epps wrote about these dies in a Gun digest article a long time ago. FRank Dehaas wrote about these dies in one of his books- Mr. Single-shots Gunsmithing Idea book I believe.

Looks just like my drawer full of bits and pieces, defently past the that was fun part these days