View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 01:02 AM

Unfortunately, the factory support for the 17 WSM isn't very good.

Savage seems to be about the only manufacture that has any interest in the 17 WSM. Ruger makes or made a few different models and I think they still show them on the Ruger web page but it has been a very long time since I've seen a new Ruger 77/17 WSM of any model for sale anywhere except maybe Gunbroker. If you want a custom 17 WSM build RimX makes actions for them and I know the RimX based builds TS Customs is making are very nice but they'll also set you back 5K too.

I'm not sure any of those new A17 17 WSM from Savage are out yet. I have one of the HB target model Savage A17's in 17 HMR and I've been pretty impressed with how well it shoots so if the 17 WSM version shoots as well they could be fun.

Then there's the sad ole Savage Bmag. What can you say about them that hasn't already been said a zillion times. The Bmag is a odd functioning inexpensively built rifle. To put it politely, it's a piss poor design all the way around and they're kinda a POS. The first time you pick one up and cycle the bolt the design of the whirly twirly flippy floppy bolt handle makes you think it's broken but, nope, that's just how they are and in factory form they're kind of fugly. The bolt handle is just flat out ugly as sin and don't even get me started on those silly looking barrel rings.

BUT, having said all that, my HB SS Bmag that I've customized and tuned on a bit is without question my favorite rimfire rifle to take sage rat shooting and though I can certainly complain about the Bmag's design and tell you about all the things I don't like, the one thing I can not complain about is how well mine shoots. All joking aside, once I shot it enough to get used to its odd-ish functioning idiosyncrasies, I've become very fond of it and it has yet to let me down. The biggest thing a Bmag shooter has to get used to is running the bolt. It's no big deal but you need to be deliberate in your movement with it because if you let your mind kind of wonder off and starting paying more attention to your next target than you are about cycling the bolt it can mess you up but I've never had a problem with mine as long as I'm paying attention. My CZ 527 17 Hornets are the same way. Those little 17 Hornet don't exactly feed smooth as silk through a CZ 527 but if you learn the tricks to cycling the bolt with them so they feed well they do fine but if I loose focus for a second and cycle a round it'll cause me grief. After you do it a few hundred rounds it kind of becomes muscle memory but every so often I'll rush things and have problems.