Thread: Ruger 77 pillar
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 09:31 PM

"After looking at this arrangement I am suprised that some one is not converting these recoil lug to a standard design."

Trust me. It's a really good system, particularly if not epoxy bedded. I remember way back in the 1960's and 1970's the Rugers were pretty easy to get shooting by using an inch pound torque wrench on that angled front stock bolt and getting consistent pressure and their barrels left a hell of a lot to be desired.

I had a couple and one of them I was able to shoot a 165 gr '06 bullet down the neck of a beer bottle and knock the bottom out at a hundred yards practically every time w/o chipping the neck. It was uncannily accurate for one or two shots from a cold barrel.

I never pillar bedded one, but think that the only part of it that would be out of the ordinary would be getting the pillars set so that they are right where THEY want to be. After that it looks like a very easy action to to a good job on. You can probably slot that rear pillar lengthwise with a square or rat tail file and get all the clearance you need.

The Remington 788 has a stud silbrazed to the rear of the action and the trigger is really close on it. The rear pillar on it is not a big deal to work around.

Last edited by JDHasty; 07-01-2022 at 03:26 PM.