View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Default Bruce

Back in the day, 1950-80's benchrest in California, Arizona, Washington which are part of what the NBRSA calls the NW and SW Regions there were several benchrest shooters/gunsmiths that had reamers with different body tapers and shoulder angles cut to have their version of the .222 Rem. Since your from Stockton you might know Stu Harvey and Mel Iwatsubo. These are 2 smiths in California that had .222 and 6x47 customers that could chose from .222 reamers that had standard,30,35,40 deg shoulders same with the 6x47 Rem. Pat McMillan shot allot of benchrest back then with .222 and 222 1/2 barrels as well as shooters like George Kelbly who still competes with his in Unlimited Class with a Big Gun. Walt Berger competed in unlimited with a .222 probably a 35 deg shoulder. One thing here I'm not just blowing smoke here like another maroon keeps saying, I know these people as friends and competitors.

Shooters are generally good people though I feel since computer varmint/benchrest/hunting started and I've been at this now since 97 allot of grief and ignorance has been thrown around by jealous/envious people that live and die on these Forums. I try not to be one of those, I have a real job and a family.

Bruce what I would suggest for you is do a little reading outside Small Caliber on Varmint and Benchrest rifles and cartridges. I have books/magazines back to the turn of the 20th century from Mann/Pope to Sharpe/Brownell/Page/Ackley/Mace/Newick and magazines like Rifle and Handloader both starting at No.1. Add to that Precision Shooting, Shooting Times, and all the cousin magazines. I don't need the written word to get to the loading bench or the field but I enjoy a good book/magazine when I'm not making bullets jacketed/cast, loading ammo, or cleaning barrels.

But my collection of materials is not much different than that of most of the shooters I shoot with. I'm not a pompous blowhard like the Maroon said just a little guy like the rest of you guys. I like to help the little guys with information they might not have at their finger tips but am well aware I don't know have any reference especially in calibers from 20 caliber down. But my experince with .222, .223, 22 & 6 PPC, 6 BRS, 6x47 Rem., 22-250, and 6x47 Lapua is on the same road as others here, that's why they call this Small Caliber isnt it.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 04-04-2011 at 02:43 AM.