View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:06 PM

I've seen a similar conversion to 221 Fireball. This was at least 5 years ago and my memory tends to run on out dated software. If I remember correctly it had a Lilja barrel and I have no clue how it was affixed. The work was done by a gunsmith up around Flathead lake (Kalispell?) Montana. Again no clue as to a name. The rifle shot well though. The owner had a load using 2400 pistol powder. The base rifle being a 580 had a nice trigger, not an oh wow trigger but nice so the gunsmith knew at least a little bit the 580 having a poor trigger pull reputation. The 580 rifle being basically a scaled down Remington 788 with two row of locking lugs instead of the three rows on a 788 seemed strong enough. I asked about case stretching as the 580's like the 788 are rear lock up and was told that it wasn't an issue. So there you have it an old faulty memory of an unique rifle. If the workmanship looks good for $275 you shouldn't get to badly hurt dollar wise. It would be hard to recreate it for that money. Good Luck you'd probably have the only one on the block.