View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Default Devcon, JB, and AcraGlas Work Fine

Have done bedding and glue-ins with all three. My item to add when glueing in use the barreled action not just the action this need to be checked for alignment sometimes more fitting is needed. Set-up using sandbags to support the stock both sides and back, under forend and on top of action while supporting under the barrel and on top of barrel. I like glue and screw/pillar bed when pillar bedding is not used by itself. Devcon is fine but somewhat stringy. JB I prefer, smooth application allows more working time than Devcon before things start to set up. Fill the voids with wax most any silicone based release agent works fine. Brownell products are top notch here. Wood/Fiberglass scrappers do a good job on the excess.

First time glueing-in have no fear. Use your common sense to guide you along with advice and reading-up has provided you. As far as leave time for set up, week will do it - some go a day. Scrape off excess in the beginning but leave the bedding compound/glue-in material alone to do the job your seeking. Taking care of your action/stock bedding is one of those items in gun maintenace you can do yourself with a minimum of specialized tools. You can also bed your shotgun and pistol stocks with similar techniques.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 04-24-2011 at 01:18 PM.