View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 08:30 AM

Default bbrc

Any cartridge labeled improved is a crap shoot. In the case of the .222 Rem what can be improved. Unless a cartridge designer has access to a flow bench like Pindell an Palmaisano had with Dan Pawlak for the PPC cartridge he/she is shootin at the moon and hope it hits. The most popular items on a designer seeking change over a parent cartridge are increasing shoulder angle and altering body taper. My question is if you make changes why not come up with a personalized name like Tom Gillman did back in the 60's when he named his 2 great cartridges the Tom Cats, 22 and 6. To me having shot, owned, competed, and hunted with a .222 there is no need to improve the cartridge. Want more powder capacity and similar performance move up to the .223. Guys like Tubbs with his XC cartridge competed while designing a cartridge in the mid range that not only competes well but functions well in the actions he used, we the shooting society are benefactors of a rifleman like Tubbs.

All in all my feeling is there enough cartridge designs out there. All one needs to do select a powder that has a range of nodes that will allow you to do load development with your chosen bullets and barrel twist.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR