View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 02:29 AM

Just messed with an old 788 Remington this evening in 222. It was an even trade for a 10/22 Ruger!! Just dinking with it a couple weeks ago and loaded up some 50 grain Sierra BK and some 55 grain Sierra BK and it was pretty darn good for a rifle with bluing worn and the usual dink marks in the stock also I put an old Weaver V10 scope that was in the rifle room on it. I had also loaded up some 40 grain Nosler BT's a couple weeks ago over 24.6 grains of AA2230 that turned in a group of groups that I thought were pretty good! I won't quote the velocity because I honestly do not remember but I know it was not lacking for usable velocities! So tonight I loaded up some neck sized brass using the 24.6 grains of AA 2230 and both the 40 grain Sierras and the 40 grain Nosler BT's...............I can live with .556" from the Sierras when I pulled one (4 are in .196") or .396" in a cluster with the Noslers!! From a cheap old rifle!!! I loaded up a bunch more tonight and will retest them but this one will shoot!!! Ugly, can't hurt it, throw it in the truck, tractor, 4-wheeler but when it is pointed at a vermin it is going to be serious!! This was no measuring for C.O.L. and jump to rifling!! Sierras were 2.170 and the Noslers were 2.163..........maybe I'll measure the jump tomorrow! I know where there are a couple "really purty rifles" that can be bought tonight! One is a Browning Low Wall in 22 K-Hornet and the other is a Ruger #1 in 218 Bee...........either of which are legitimate .6-.7" guns with AA1680 pushing 35VMAXS out of the K and AA1680 pushing 40 Sierras out of the Bee. The BEE also has a B&C synthetic stock so you can save the purty wood!! GHD